Thread: Router selection HELP!

Question Router selection HELP!

Hi everyone, don’t let those crazy Turners that I’m doing flatwork…. But seriously I’ve slipped over here to ask for some help. Its time for a new router, I have a crappy plunge router (which doesn’t really plunge) and also an old no frills Craftsmen from the ‘70s model. I’ve used the plunge option a handful of times and have mounted the router in a table about a dozen times in two years to do door rails and stiles. I have it narrowed down to two routers: Triton 2 ¼ hp from Woodcraft http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5890 and the three base kit from Dewalt http://www.toolbarn.com/product/dewalt/DW618B3E/ (HD has it for $230 after MIB). I really like the integrated table mount option that is part of the Trition as well as the extras and it seemed quite nice on the video that Woodcraft shows, but there isn’t a store in my area so I can’t play with it to see how much I like it. I like the multi base options with the Dewalt package, but it doesn't have the templet guilds, starter bits, or the table mount adjustment option (which is really nice so I don’t need to buy that equipment in the future).

Future uses – everything! I’d like to build with tendons, do some inlay, and the usual edges. I think I have equal pros and cons for the two choices, any inputs from the masses? Thanks - wayne

You might add the Bosch 1617 router to your list. It is also 2 1/4 HP. I purchased the combo kit which comes with a plunge base and a standard fixed base. Both bases are very well thought out and the fixed base offers extremely accurate adjustment.

I recently purchased the new version of the fixed base for this router (which is included with the new routers in place of the old fixed base) and it allows adjustments with a t-handle hex wrench (included) from above the table with the same precision.

I think it's at least worth looking at, I've been very satisfied with mine. It also includes the fixture for using template guides, but uses a different type from the really common ones (I think).

I think that the 3 base Dewalt kit is on sale at Grizzly for $259 with an additional $50 mail in rebate - $205 - I don't know if you can beat that. You can mount the fixed base in the table, have the d-handle for hand held work, and still have the plunge for mortise and inlay. Best of all worlds. My $0.02 for nothin'!

- Rob
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

I have a Triton 3 1/4 hp, and a Makita RF1101 kit,
    Got the Triton when it was on sale after a Canadian wood show about a year ago, IMO its not what it's cracked up to be (Triton has used far to many plastic parts for my likeing, and it's nowhere near as smooth running and my Makita but haveing said that, it has never let me down under the router table it's aso very easy to change bit's in that mode.
    I would recommend you have a look at the makita as I can't realy fault it perfomance wise and the finish it leaves on the wood only needs a little sanding, this router worked realy well under the router table as well.
    I saw this model at tool barn for $249, that includes a FREE random orbit sander http://www.toolbarn.com/product/makita/RF1101KIT3/
    The main thing that I would saw about buying a router is make sure that you get one with variable speed, so that you can use bigger bits safely, and maybe if you can get to supplier see how they feel in your hand, because you don't realy want one that you find uncomfortable to use.

Hope you find this usefull, and let us know what one you get.

Regards...Graham Skinner
    Last edited by Graham Skinner; 07-17-2007 at 11:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    The Triton rocks and there are plenty of 618 fans. I wouldn't buy without checking out the Milwaukee 5616-24 combo that has just come out. It has pretty well become the 'darling' in all the recent bake-offs. I have two other Milwaukees plus other makers and couldn't be happier with the Mil's.

It will be a hard decision for me when the time comes . . . Triton or Milwaukee . .. .Hmmmmm. If I didn't have a dedicated RT router the Triton would win for sure. However, the plunge base will fit my other Mil. Hmmm, again.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You should put hands on the Triton before you buy it. It has an unusual scheme for control of the plunge. Some people like it. Some don't.

Lots of application, never changes either.

Hard call, the Dewalt setup looks good, as does the Bosch and PC midsize router kits. I've been using the smaller PC694VK kit for years and it's never lacked power for handheld use. Of course I have a PC 7518 in the router table (sweet). Your choice looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Skinner View Post
    IMO its not what it's cracked up to be (Triton has used far to many plastic parts for my likeing, and it's nowhere near as smooth running and my Makita but haveing said that, it has never let me down under the router table it's aso very easy to change bit's in that mode.
    What he said. The Triton is clumsy and unsophisticated the Depth stop is a cheap cheezy piece of plastic trash that will ( I guarantee you ) fail right when you need it.

But it's great in the table. This is because you simply don't care about balance or the worthless plastic junk they put on it when it's in the table. I have the 3.250HP model. It's got it's issues but power isn't among them. I never take it out of the table.

10. Router help

When it comes to routers, their is no one size fits all. Generally my preferences in routing is Makita, Bosch, Fein, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, and not neccessarily in that order.

I have 2 of the Bosch 1617's one fixed base and one combo kit the 1617EVSPK. Here is a link to my review at Amazon, which garnered 3rd down, but still in their most helpful review category. http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSP...4808990&sr=1-1 If I had to get critical of it, when fine tuning a setting, loosening the collar, making an adjustment, then retightening, the bit shifts its plane a little bit. This never has made much of a difference to me, or caused any errors in my work. To a technical engineer, using some form of fine measuring device, tweaking the fine adjust knob, until it hit that magic thousandths, only to have the bit shift slightly when tightening is enough to drive them nuts. I run a few sample cuts instead. The beauty of it is the fine adjust knob. You get a good gross setting, test with a pass, then loosen, and using the fine adjust knob, tweak it in the direction you need, and snug it up.

The Fein RT1800 plunge is a German made precision machine. The run out on it was off the charts next to the competition in a popular woodworking magazine, a couple of years ago. That is due in part to having needle bearings, instead of ball bearings. Think about it, isn't the long surface of the needle side, giving you a lot more stability, than the tip of the ball? It is surprisingly light, light enough to be used as a hand held, even though it is over 3hp. It also has one of the deepest plunge depths of any of the routers. It is not any good for under the table though, because it does not have any above table adjusting capabilities, or a plunge router spring release. I use it when making jigs, for mortising by routing for example.

The Makita D Handle RD 1101 2 1/4hp is my favorite, for hand held work, and a favorite of Norm Abrams for years, until Porter Cable started to sponsor the show. No offense Norm. The Makita D Handle is light, and scary quiet, and has great balance and feel. It is so quiet, if I can exaggerate, and only a little, it is as quiet as an electric can opener. For hand held work, the stability of the D Handle can't be beat. Here is the link at Amazon, and they chose my review as their most helpful for it. http://www.amazon.com/Makita-RD1101-...4810298&sr=1-1 Makita has an H2402 out that may be a newer model, I have not researched that. In the past 2 years I have not kept up with the latest routers, it seems though that they are still featuring a lot of the same models.

I have 2 of the Porter Cable 8529s that you still see Norm use on the NYW. (Don't get the 7529 which is the predecessor, looking exactly the same, because they have a on off switch problem) They are a plunge router, that is rated at peak 2 hp. Pretty much sufficient power for all tasks, except trying to make fewer passes on panel cuts for raised panels out of hardwood. I have the Bosch 3 1/4 horse under the table mount for that, model number 1619EVS. Here is my review at Amazon; http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1619EVS-...4813662&sr=1-1 The only problem is that the Bosch 1619EVS does not sport above table adjusting capabilities like the PC 8529's. With their large adjusting knob option, an inexpensive accessory, it makes it relatively easy to adjust though. The one thing the Bosch does have is a spring release mechanism. That way you are not trying to compress the spring of a plunge router upside down, often resulting in lifting the whole table. My Fein 6 Speed RT 1800 has that problem, of no release of the spring, making it impractical for under the table use, without a router lift, but makes up for it in so many other ways. Just don't use it under the table. Yes here is my featured review at Amazon for the Fein. http://www.amazon.com/Fein-RT-1800-6...4808595&sr=1-1

Another factor is how wide do you need the opening? Whichever router you choose, make sure it has an opening large enough to accomodate what you plan on using it for. For example, kitchen cabinet, raised panel bits, that come with Frued sets, are typically smaller than you would prefer with standard size kitchen cabinets. Their optional large panel raising bits are more desirable, but measure 3 1/2" across. They require a larger opening. Here is my review for one of the more popular Freud larger styles cabinet raising bits, that Amazon chose as their top most helpful review. http://www.amazon.com/Freud-99-520-2...4810567&sr=1-4 The problem of the larger opening in the bit is that smaller pieces want to get lost in the hole. Of course with a router table mount, with different size concentric rings, you can eliminate that problem. For example the Rousseau router table inserts have those rings. Don't believe what many say about the Rousseau inserts, they are great. Here is a link to them at Amazon. There you can read my review. http://www.amazon.com/Rousseau-3509-...4807710&sr=8-2

The Porter Cable 7310 3/4 hp laminate trim router, rounds out the collection. Contractors rave about that little beauty, they edge trim counter top laminates with it, and a lot more. The router book states it is also great for using in jigs. If you are on the job as an installer, their kit with the extended base is a great one to have. Yes I garnered Amazons top review status on the 7310 also. Here is a link to the page. http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7...4809268&sr=1-1

I just want to take a minute to say something. Many of my reviews at Amazon were chosen by them to put in their most helpful, spotlight review position. I know that sounds like a gloat, but I spent years, going on a tool buying frenzy, researching the heck out of every one of them. Then sometimes, I would spend an hour or more, really getting down all of the relevant information. Why not share it with others after doing all of that work. The net result is that I am featured as their top reviewer on more products, than I care to admit. I know it sounds like I a gloat, but if you click on my name at Amazon, of R.Feeser, and see my reviews, it is almost embarrassing to see how often they chose mine as their top pick.
    I am hoping that the research is beneficial to others here at SMC. I have not provided a link that is an affiliate link in any way, it is just their standard link for that page, I am just happy to be here.

Now I am going to go to bed tonight, and be thinking, "wait a minute, I forgot to tell them about this, and what about the feature on that model" Woodworking is so exciting, especially when you can share it with others. I am excited knowing that when I do a project, I now have a lot of help. Just make a post, and everyone here is willing to share their ideas. It is so much better than having to learn the hard way. This is truly a great forum.
    Last edited by Bob Feeser; 07-18-2007 at 10:59 PM.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Bob, that is some great information and I would really like to thank you for all the time you put in on it.

Thanks

Wayne, I own the DW618 kit and all three bases and consider it one of the best values and choices in the 12-13 amp category. That said, you might want to also take a short ride to Southampton and visit "the boys" at Woodworker's Haven and see what they have. At the very least, you'll get to experience a really well-run local tool establishment. They are located where James Way runs into County Line Road.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have
    2 Hitachi M12Vs for tables...
    2 Porter Cable 690s (love em, got em on sale at Amazon for $99, I'd buy one of these for each of my smaller bits just so I never have to change them if I could
    1 Porter Cable laminate trimmer
    1 Bosch 1613
    1 Festool 1400

With that said, I love them all...you can't go wrong with any of those...others have mentioned the Dewalt's, can't go wrong with those. Pat Warner swears by them and he could build a house with a router...

My two cents...

Wow tons of info I vote for the bosh 1617 evs, I like the bosh because of the electronic speed control and there fine hight adjustment it is just a very refined tool. The Portor cable is the workhourse grate durable router less refined. I don't know about the rest to much I have used them but the bosh and porter cable are my favorite. Also in the sale forum I just got a festool router so I have a extra regular base (if you want to mount it in a router table) and a d handle base for the bosh both basically new if intrested.
    -=Jason=-