Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: oh yeah, let's go for a ride - show me your bike

"""""""""
    I would be worried about stability in a high speed (35+) evasive maneuver, but this must have been designed into the vehicle. I'll so some checking and post back.
    """"""""

Earlier trikes like the Servicart and such from Harley had little if any suspension in the rear, and were quite dangerous at speed if a direction change was in order, leaning the bike into the turn was not possible and usually the inside wheel would leave the ground first, then they'd tip over.
    Not what I'd call a safe way to ride.

Newer ones like with VW rear ends in them had a suspension in them making them a bit safer, I see a lot of trikes with Goldwing motors in them, don't know how they ride as I've never rode one or talked to someone who had them, but rumor has it that they are better.

Personally if I was building one because they look easier to ride, I'd look elsewhere, as in two wheels, but if your building one just to build it, have fun.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

In about 15 minutes I am headed in for 7, 12 hour days, so First Thanks all, and second, I won't see anymore of this for a week.

Yes a motorcycle (I like bicycles but more for the exercise, asthma/lungs kept me from ever running or a lot of other things).

Just one example, In the movie Cherry 2000, there was a trike that was out for a short time (have seen a few others WAY out of my league). Front engine and Front wheel drive. THAT is the style I want to build (something a bit different). Still thinking of a VW engine, because they are simple to work with, and I do have access to a machine shop (that builds hot rods and planes). So I may try to do this in another couple of years (no time right now, but watching for parts).

This is mine

Hey, this is my beaut, she doesnt do alot of riding, Its only comfy for maybe 250-300 miles. I cringe thinking of putting a windshiled an bags on her. So I stay fairly local.
    Shes a 2005 Honda VTX 1300 C model, highly modified out of Vegas. I wish I had time to do more riding.When riding gets good I get too busy it seems like.

I also had an 05 Honda VTX Retro 1300 but I sold it and bought this. The retro has big flairy fenders and some even have whitewalls an spokes.

My bike 5-7-07 002.jpg

14.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

Oh yeah,

Heres what my wife rides!

Stiletto Bike.jpg

This is us on a family trip to disneyworld.

Family trip.jpg

And finally my grams and gramps in Boca!

GeezerQuads.jpg

[quote=Joe Chritz;624770
    a motorcycle is the only vehicle that can actually exceed full drag factor of a roadway while performing evasive or stopping maneuvers.

Joe[/quote]

If you take a car and lock up all 4 wheels it will stop in X distance. Depending on the speed of the vehicle at the start you can figure a drag factor. That drag factor is based on gravity and the skidding surface. A car can generate one drag factor (f). A motorcycle, because of the vehicle dynamics, weight transfer and center of gravity, can generate over one f.

What that means is that it can turn faster and stop quicker than a car. At least if the machine is operated correctly.

Most accidents I have reconstructed involving motorcycles had a high side. The rider locks the back break during an emergency stop and then lets go when it starts to slide. The motor realigns to straight and the rider gets tossed off.

We did 45 MPH rear wheel skids in my motor class. They are really scary. A police motor operator/instructor who was in the motorcycle reconstruction class I took did a 25 MPH front wheel skid. That was really really scary and I wasn't riding.

Joe

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    If you take a car and lock up all 4 wheels it will stop in X distance. Depending on the speed of the vehicle at the start you can figure a drag factor. That drag factor is based on gravity and the skidding surface. A car can generate one drag factor (f). A motorcycle, because of the vehicle dynamics, weight transfer and center of gravity, can generate over one f.

What that means is that it can turn faster and stop quicker than a car. At least if the machine is operated correctly.

Most accidents I have reconstructed involving motorcycles had a high side. The rider locks the back break during an emergency stop and then lets go when it starts to slide. The motor realigns to straight and the rider gets tossed off.

We did 45 MPH rear wheel skids in my motor class. They are really scary. A police motor operator/instructor who was in the motorcycle reconstruction class I took did a 25 MPH front wheel skid. That was really really scary and I wasn't riding.

Joe

Joe
    thanks, joe!

and no thanks, on the front wheel skid thing! yikes!!!

i'd like to see some of the practice attempts that were made in the process of perfecting that demo.

i wish i had some video clips of some of the stunts that i witnessed while teaching the beginner rider course. it's amazing what you can make a motorcycle do when you have no idea how to ride one.

made many fifty yard sprints after run-away riders... "PULL IN THE CLUTCH!!!! PULL IN THE CLUTCH!!!!"
    best regards,

jeffrey fusaro

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    This is my 14th HD. Been riding Harleys since 1954.
    harley.jpg
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Where are the other thirteen Ken? I'm 43 years short of your experience but I'm working on it.
    Nice ride. Keep it on two wheels.

Here's what we ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Robison View Post
    Here's what we ride.
    Where do you plug your iPod into that!

Seriously, I did amateur trials riding in the`70's. Had a sweet little bultaco.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hey Bruce, you should have kept the Sherpa T!
    Vintage trials is a ball!
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Here is my pride and joy...

Attached is a pic of my bike. A 1989 Honda Pacific Coast. A good OF bike. I've had it for over 10 years and it just passed 39000 miles. A great bike
    Attached Images Attached Images