Thread: Changing the Motor in a Drill Press

Changing the Motor in a Drill Press

I have a Grizzly drill press that is about 5 years old. In an attempt to make it a better press, I was thinking of converting the 1/2 HP motor to a 1 HP to 1.5HP motor. I am wondering if I can do this for less than $200.00. Before I start this undertaking, I wanted to know who I can do this with as little adjusting as possible. Should I contact Griz about the motor, and get their input? You advice is appreciated.

How do you mean "better"? A bigger motor won't make a better hole. better bits will make a better hole. How much runout do you have with her? I'd start with tuning it to drill w/ minimal runout.

A better table, with hold downs and such, also makes for good improvements.

Jim

It's easy to do if the new motor has the same mount, and the same shaft diameter as the original. Oh yeah, and is of the same speed, too.

Why do you need to change to a bigger motor, though? Are you actually stalling the current motor? On both of my drill presses - one Powermatic, and one Shop Fox - with half horse motors, the belt will slip before the motor stalls. I've used up to 3½" forstner bits on both of mine, running at the slowest speed - about 250 rpm - and have never had a problem.

I am using sanding attachments and find the motors is slowing down. I am working on a better drill press table, and would like you advice for really good (but not break the bank good) drill bits.

For $200, you can buy a pretty decent 12" disc sander or tabletop drum sander (depending on what kind of sanding you are doing). Trying to make your drill press into a "better sander" is a loosing battle, especially since the drill press is not made for much side loading, and you risk affecting the runout of the machine., or making it sloppy by wearing down the quill (IMHO, YRMV).

What model is it for a better recommendation. As stated by others better tooling could be the better option. Perhaps just changing to a cog belt will improve the performance, not a big fan of Fenner link belts in this application, (I work on machines professionaly.)

A major change would be to mount a 1 hp three phase motor and a VFD. On 1 hp motors you can get a VFD that will run off 110 volts. The VFD will give inifintely variable speed and double the motors rated speed. Could be done for around $200 if you can scrounge a motor.

Best drill bits and cost are from Lee Valley.

Be advised that drill presses are not usually designed to take the lateral forces of sanding and you may be shortening the tool's life using it continuously in this fashion. I bought the Ridgid spindle belt sander combination for $200 and it works much better than the drill press spindle sander setup I used to use.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
    For $200, you can buy a pretty decent 12" disc sander or tabletop drum sander (depending on what kind of sanding you are doing). Trying to make your drill press into a "better sander" is a loosing battle, especially since the drill press is not made for much side loading, and you risk affecting the runout of the machine., or making it sloppy by wearing down the quill (IMHO, YRMV).

Ditto, You would be better off with a dedicated tool.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

At one time I was using my drill press for drum sanding and found it is not really that good for sanding when you compare it to a Ridgid 4424.
    Now that I have the Ridgid there is so much difference in sanding, much much faster and better.

You can get a Ridgid for $199 and HD and then you would have a drum sander and a belt sander. With it you can also title the table for 45 degree stuff and it is an oscillating sander which is very nice and does a really good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwain Lambrigger View Post
    I have a Grizzly drill press that is about 5 years old. In an attempt to make it a better press, I was thinking of converting the 1/2 HP motor to a 1 HP to 1.5HP motor. I am wondering if I can do this for less than $200.00. Before I start this undertaking, I wanted to know who I can do this with as little adjusting as possible. Should I contact Griz about the motor, and get their input? You advice is appreciated.

If I was changing the motor in my drill press I would be going three phase with a variable frequency drive. would cost more but well worth it IMHO.

What John just said...almost word for word what I was going to write!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...