Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosscut Sled Decision: Dubby

Crosscut Sled Decision: Dubby

Good morning all,

Just a quick note to thank everyone for the advice on my sliding table / crosscut sled thread. While at the Springfield, MA Woodwork show Friday afternoon, I spent close to an hour watching Jerry Cole, the inventor of the Dubby and owner of In-line Industries demonstate the sled. He made it look easy, as it should be when you've cut tens or hundreds of thousand of miters

To make a long story short, I spent the $160 on the Dubby and set it up yesterday. I absolutely love it. Only regret is not buying one sooner. It was easy to set up, cuts dead 90 with a convenient stop system (to which it will be easy to add a stick-on tape measure), and cuts PERFECT 45's in seconds. Anyone in the market for a sled should take a look at the dubby. Dave.

After Show Seminar??

Did Jerry offer his after show seminar? That alone is worth the price of the sled. I bought one about 5 years ago and used to use it a lot. Less now, only because I put a sliding table on my saw and it does the same as the Dubby except that I do use the Dubby for smaller things. Did you get just the left sled? Did you get his book on picture frames and all the demensions? A good purchase and I am sure you will love it.

CPeter

CPeter,

No on the sminar and book - I'll have to check on the book based on your recommendation.

I got the left side only - figured I could add a right side sled if I need more heft. I'm actually considering selling my Dewalt DW705 CMS with a nice Dewalt stand and Forrest chopmaster balde because I like the sled so much. Dave.

Blog Entries

One more thing!

You may want to make an auxilary table for the right side of your blade. I've found that when using a Dubby, the small cutoffs can fall back against the blade and get pinched between the blade and the throat plate with a resultant lound noise and pices flying around. This it particularly true of carbide tipped blades.

I made a small table to the right side of the blade exactly the same height as the Dubby table so that cuttoffs stay put. When in place the aux table supports the cut off pieces and leaves no clearance between the right side of hte blade and the aux table for pieces to jam.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Dave ,
    doyou have a link for Dubby?
    mark
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I've always heard really good things about the Dubby.

Here's a link.
    http://www.in-lineindustries.com/

I do have a question however. Did you happen to compare the Dubby to the Jointech Smartmiter? I'd be curious as to your observations.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer
    You may want to make an auxiliary table for the right side of your blade. I've found that when using a Dubby, the small cutoffs can fall back against the blade and get pinched between the blade and the throat plate with a resultant lound noise and pieces flying around. This it particularly true of carbide tipped blades.

I made a small table to the right side of the blade exactly the same height as the Dubby table so that cutoffs stay put. When in place the aux table supports the cut off pieces and leaves no clearance between the right side of the blade and the aux table for pieces to jam.

Lee, I have both the left and right Dubby, plus I made the carriage jig he uses in his "Boxes" video. I'll have to get around to taking a picture of it sometime.

Dave

If you have the left and right...That is the Dubby Brothers...Your probably too young ... most of my dubbys did not make me more accurate! I couldn't drive or use machinery...That was the 60's
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

what is better having the left side or right side?
    I have a 52" fence set up on my saw and I have more room on the right side wouldn't I be better off with the right side for cutting longer boards?
    can left side be used on the right side?
    what makes the dubby better than the one delta makes?
    Mike

A couple of questions:

- Why did you choose the dubbly instead of the Dewalt sliding table?

- Can you cut angles greater than 90% on the dubly?

Thanks & congratulations on your new purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Walker
    A couple of questions:

- Why did you choose the dubbly instead of the Dewalt sliding table?

- Can you cut angles greater than 90% on the dubly?

Thanks & congratulations on your new purchase!

Hi Thomas,

I chose the dubby because I was impressed with its simplicity and ease of set-up. It also cuts PERFECT 45's very easily. The price was also $300 less than the Dewalt table, and it took about 10 minutes to set up. As far as angles, it does a perfect 90 degree crosscuts with a scale that goes all the way up to 50 degrees.... hope that answers your question. Dave.

Dave,

Glad you got one. Will look forward to further reports. When I was upgrading the stock miter gauge on my saw, I was torn between the Dubby and the Osbourne EB-3. Wound up getting the latter, but I can still see the possibility of the Dubby in the future. That Jerry Cole is a good, down to earth guy, and I'd like to support his efforts.

- Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Overtaken
    what is better having the left side or right side?
    I have a 52" fence set up on my saw and I have more room on the right side wouldn't I be better off with the right side for cutting longer boards?
    can left side be used on the right side?
    what makes the dubby better than the one delta makes?

I stated with the left Dubby. After seeing the another demo by Jerry I said mmm that's a good idea.. a right one too! The primary use for the right for me so far is making boxes / frames with the pieces vertical. The right supports the opposite side cuts which are hard to make without either the jig or the right board.

Dave,

I also made bottom piece 1/2" tall the support the off cuts so they don't get thrown back at me. Also you will note the blade crown which helps prevent you from dropping wood on the blade. This is very possible when cutting melamine, since both the melamine and Dubby surfaces are so slick.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    If you have the left and right...That is the Dubby Brothers...Your probably too young ... most of my dubbys did not make me more accurate! I couldn't drive or use machinery...That was the 60's

Man..... I remember (sorta) a Doobie Brother's concert in the late '70's.....