Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crosscut Sled Decision: Dubby

Quote Originally Posted by David LaRue
    Dave,

I also made bottom piece 1/2" tall the support the off cuts so they don't get thrown back at me. Also you will note the blade crown which helps prevent you from dropping wood on the blade. This is very possible when cutting melamine, since both the melamine and Dubby surfaces are so slick.

Dave

Dave,

Very cool set-up. Thanks for posting the pic's. After I use mine for a while and get used to it, I'll probably do something similar. Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Avery View Post
    ...cuts dead 90 with a convenient stop system (to which it will be easy to add a stick-on tape measure), and cuts PERFECT 45's in seconds.
    Does it have stops for angles other than 90?

Also what about beveled cuts?

Either you permanently have unsupported stock for 90 deg cuts after making one, or if the blade tils away from the sled, unsupported stock on bevel cuts.
    Seems like sleds should have a replaceable edge piece for this.

You normally buy the one that the blade will tilt away from. My table saw is right tilt, so I have a left.

Richard

This thread is like 6 years old. Maybe you should PM him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Avery View Post
    Man..... I remember (sorta) a Doobie Brother's concert in the late '70's.....
    I was at that concert, 3 or 4 times..... What happens at the concert stays at the concert....

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    This thread is like 6 years old. Maybe you should PM him.
    LOL! I didn't notice that either, but dang now I'm interested in this dubby! Maybe the oldest thread I've seen resurrected... but we might as well get something out of reading it hey?

Is there something better on the market now, or is a "right dubby" on a left tilting saw with a long right extension table the way to go?
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

I'm depressed. This is making my Incra 1000 SE with Miter Express look like, well, an okay buy, but not the best. Check that, I could have had a Double Dubby for the same price. The Incra won't really cut large panels, you have to constantly recalibrate it if you angle it (if not, the fence will go right into the blade), it will not hold small pieces as smartly as this looks it does, the extending fence also needs to be checked and calibrated for wide cuts, and it looks like the dubby also has some thought into preventing chip out with that extra wood block/extension thing near the blade. Also taking the Incra on and off the sled is a little bit of a hassle and it all doesn't store/hang well. It does have the piece that locks into the opposite side of the blade to prevent the cut off from dropping, but... So thanks a lot Dave, you ruined my night! :-)

I've got a Dewalt 744 portable table saw. Any idea if the Dubby will work on that? I saw the Dubby at a wood show, but I think I overheard someone say that that model Dewalt is too small for the Dubby....

I think a lot of thought went into the Dubby sleds. If I hadn't built a pretty good sled using Kelly Meher's design and very happy with it, I would have bought one when I saw the live demo. I did buy the Dubby Taper Jig which I saw at the same demo, and have used that for legs and such and been very happy with it. I must admit, the Dubby double does have some advantages over my sled but not enough to shell out that amount of $$$ as I have a separate 45/90 degree sled I made also ala Kelly Meher which I use for those angle miters. Hmmmm sounds like you can't have enough sleds.

I have a left tilt saw and bought the left side Dubby at Jerry's recommendation. When I asked him why not the right he told me if I was only buying one that you want to leave the fence on your saw, hence the left side. Made sense to me. They were sold out at the Detroit show last weekend hopefully I will get it around the first.

Can somebody tell me what the sled base is made of? And with a single runner, is there some insert/adjustment for wiggle?

Russell,
    I bought one several years ago but sold it along with my Ridgid saw I had set it up on. I bought a DW 746 with sliding table so I didn't need it. The body of the sled is made of melamine and there is (was) an adjustment for wiggle. I'm not sure if the dubby is still available. This thread is six years old. However, in-line industries still shows it on its website. I've seen something that looks very similar at Rocklers.
    IMO, the dubby is extremely accurate and greatly improves performance over the standard miter gauge. I also purchased the PALs and contractors' saw package from in-line. Jerry Cole was great to deal with and with his stuff, along with a replacement 40" Biesenmeyer home fence system, improved the performance of my saw greatly. I wish now I hadn't sold it. I really like the DW 746 and had a opportunity to get a good deal on one. But, the performance package along with the dubby and biesenmeyer made my ridgid a better saw.
    http://www.in-lineindustries.com/single_dubby.html

Edited: Here is something similar at Rocklers. I'm not sure of the status of in-line industries.
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...oss-cut%20sled
    Last edited by Gary Hodgin; 12-24-2010 at 3:49 PM.

It's still available and Jerry Cole's still doing the demo. I watched him for an hour today at the Houston WW show (held in Katy) and was sold on both him and the jig. Bought the left & right pair. He was demo'ing in the Peachtree booth and was a lot of fun to listen to.

John
    Robust American Beauty lathe, 25” swing, electronic variable speed 80-3000 RPM
    Colt SML-350 14” midi-lathe, electronic variable speed 80-3700 RPM

'73 52" Rockwell-Delta Unisaw, 14" Variable speed Jet bandsaw, 6" Jet Jointer, 20" Dewalt scrollsaw, 15" Craftsman drill press

Tinkerer and woodturner
    1,475 mi SSW of Steve Schlumpf