Thread: New Lathe Tool

New Lathe Tool

I just finished making this yesterday to finish som end grain hollowing I was doing.

I didn't have enough reach with any of my other tools, so I came up with this. The tool is just under 30" overall, the handle is 18" and about 1 3/4" diameter oak. The shaft is some 1/2" dia stainless tube I had, and is 16" long, 6 inches are buried in the handle. The cutters are 1/4" square HSS I had, held in with 2 set screws. I have a couple of different profiles. So far I've gone about 9" over the rest and its still manageable. I drilled out the end of the handle and added about 1/2 lb of steel shot to add some heft. Best part is, .78 for the copper fitting and 3.00 for the shot!

Happy Turning!

And its baby brother

This one I made about a year ago. Length 20", but only 6-7 inches over the rest. Handles nice, but just too short for hollowing.

New Tool

Hey Angelo!

Nice tool! It's nice to make something like that yourself, isn't it? Can you show us a closeup of the business end?

Scott.

Scott,

I actually have 3 or 4 "business ends" They change out very easily.

The bottom one is a round nose scraper. The top one is a square scraper with a rather steep grind, almost like a Bedan Tool. the one in the middle has a slight back-angle thats hard to see. The edge is slightly longer on the left side (bottom in pic) and this allows me to get all the way in the corner of a deep hollow. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Nice tool

Hi Angelo,

I just made my first hollowing tool last weekend but I haven't got a chance to use it yet. My handle is about 1/3 the size of yours and made of walnut! Wondering if I will have a lot of control problems with it...

About the stainless tubing - I used 3/8" steel rod for mine and drilled the end for the bits. It was a total PITA. Have you found that the tubing is strong enough?

Thanks,
    Patrick

Re: Nice tool

Originally posted by Patrick Smith
    Hi Angelo,

I just made my first hollowing tool last weekend but I haven't got a chance to use it yet. My handle is about 1/3 the size of yours and made of walnut! Wondering if I will have a lot of control problems with it...

Not yet. I can tuck the handle under my elbow, lock my elbow up against my side, and it goes where I want it to. I felt the long handle was needed to couneract all the leverage from the 10-12" long shaft.

Originally posted by Patrick Smith

About the stainless tubing - I used 3/8" steel rod for mine and drilled the end for the bits. It was a total PITA. Have you found that the tubing is strong enough?

Thanks,
    Patrick
    I figured it would be a pain as well, esp since I have 1/4" square cutters. I've used the shorter one for a year now, with some pretty scary catches, and have had no problems with its integrity. I think this tube is from some sort of light fixture. It had an IP thread nipple on one end and came with a box of electrical boxes, etc. I picked up some where.