Thread: cyclone separator build

cyclone separator build

When using Bill's design for a cyclone separator, how for down into the cylinder should the outlet pipe go past the air ramp ? I have looked at all the pictures I could find and can't really see how far it should go.

Thanks

Chris, the one in my Pentz inspired Clear Vue stops just short of the where the cone starts to taper, IIRC. I'm doing this from memory, so take it with a grain of salt. Does the Pentz site not specify in the downloadable plans how long that is? Maybe some of the others here who have built one from Bill's plans will have the dimensions for you. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I made one that is pretty effective out of a 5 gallon paint bucket ($5.00) a lid ($1.00) two 90 degree PVC elbows ($1.75) and (.50) worth of duct tape, and it works great, in tandem with my one of my shop vacs for dust collection off of my Hilti 267E circular saw on my "EZ" setup. I was ripping about 3 4' long 2x6's down into 1.5 wide strips the other day, a total of 9 or so cuts and I filled the paint bucket a little over 1/4 of the way full.

Thanks for the info guys. Also would it hurt to put a 6" outlet in the middle instead of the 10", I am going to run it into a Jet DC1200A, and use the separator stand alone with the 1200a in the normal config.

Chris, The outlet pipe on my cyclone was level with the top edge of the outer cyclinder and stopped approx 4" before the bottom edge of the cyclinder. The air ramp started at the top part of the inlet duct and finished at the bottom of the inlet duct. Hope the pics help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.JPG (78.4 KB, 61 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (84.8 KB, 63 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (87.3 KB, 47 views)
    Regards,
    Al

You don't know, what you don't know, until you know it. http://www.woodworkforums.com/images...d/rolleyes.gif

Thanks, Al That helps me a lot. I am in the wholesale a/c business and one of my customer's is going to help me cut it out and put it together at his shop today.

No problems Chris.
    I found that building the cyclone was not as difficult as I thought it would be, The measurements on Bill Pentz's plans were spot on.
    Here is a link with some more pics of my cyclone. http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/Als-Cyclone-project It may help give you some more ideas. Good luck with your cyclone, Hope to see some pics soon.
    Regards,
    Al

You don't know, what you don't know, until you know it. http://www.woodworkforums.com/images...d/rolleyes.gif

Chris I maybe to late with this but you can find the height of the oulet tube on the excel spreadsheet http://billpentz.com/woodworking/CycloneSizingRev.xls
    on page 1 under cylcone outlet it shows 16.78"
    also on page 2 the dimension shows 4.5" from bottom of air ramp to bottom of outlet
    hope this helps

Bryan