Thread: NEW!! Granite top table saw from Steel City

NEW!! Granite top table saw from Steel City

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Hey Dave ...flip over to page two...we just had a 44 post thread on it.

Gary K.

It will be interesting to see how the granite and the fastners hold up over the years. If you notice, it's just on the hybrid table saws, not the higher dollar saws. From what I can tell it will be a plus for the company as far as warrantee issues on flatness, weather it will be good for the consumer will yet to be seen after a few years. One thing I'm a little less sceptical on is the jointer fence.

I said they couldn't do it~!! - - - - Now I think it's pretty.

I'm not looking to buy a TS anytime soon but that granite top is intriguing. I have a lot of respect for Chris Schwartz and if he thinks it's special, then it likely is something to consider.

Oh yeah, I also read the responses in the other thread about it. All I have to say is that the naysayers are putting up nothing but an opinion. Steel City is putting up their money.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I agree with Chris' comment, it is "inspired".

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Hey Dave ...flip over to page two...we just had a 44 post thread on it.
    44 posts -- 304 left to go to catch up with the jointers.

I think making granite tops available is a great idea. This is the kind of innovation which sets manufacturers and their products apart from the competition. It sure beats the proverbial "race to the bottom" with cost and quality.

I'm wondering if granite tops not being available on higher end saws has more to do with customer comfort than actual performance. People who use tools to make a living, which would be the high end customers, are often reluctant to embrace anything new and possibly riskly. It makes sense to let things shake out before jumping in.

Just wait 'til ya drop sompin' on that top and it cracks. Don't know about saw tops, but when we sell granite countertops, the customer signs a release stating that they understand that no warrenty is offered on natural stone.
    I know that surface plates have been used for ever, but just a little cautious about saw tops.
    Bill

Considering these saw tops are not only thicker than a granite countertop, but also much, much smaller, I would think they are a lot less prone to cracking.

Minerology

My recollection from taking a course in minerology in college was that most minerals have what are called strike planes. They crack along definite paths which are invisible weaknesses within the stone. I wonder how this company has overcome what nature has put in. Mind you, I am not a naysayer, just curious.
    Al Clem
    Sedona, AZ

Alfred - different stones have different levels of weakness. Onyx for instance is very fragile and slabs often have mesh epoxied on the back to keep them intact during routine handling. Some of the black granites have little or no veining and are quite strong even whe a sharp and heavy object is dropped on it.

Remember cast iron has weakness too. How may pix are floating around here of cracked tables, jointer beds, and unisaw trunions????