Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stile and Rail bit set frustration....

Stile and Rail bit set frustration....

I have a set of stile and rail bits (router) that I got from Jesada about 2 to 3 years ago. I am just now getting around to trying these bits out as I will soon need to make some cabinet doors for our up and coming EC. I have yet to figure out how to get these profiles to line up cleanly. Any hints / tips on how to go about this little fiasco?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, there is a tutorial on the Jesada website about use of their router bits. MLCS also has a nice instruction section. I keep it handy for whenever I do rails and stiles.
    Good luck.
    Lynn J. Sonier

Dennis,

I went through the same song and dance with a Jesada set of about that same date of manufacture. With the bits set up the way that they came from Jesada it was impossible to get the profiles to match up exactly. Turns out you will have to adjust the shim stack on each bit to get them to work correctly. I emailed Jesada with the problem and they promptly sent me out a new set of cutters...told me to keep the others and sent shims to correct the alignment.

Contact Jesada....I'm sure that they'll make it right

Ron

I'm a big fan of Jesada bits in general, but I won't be buying any more rail/stile sets from them. I fought with a set (about the same time frame) for literally HOURS shimming and reshimming and testing ech setup. I never did get it quite right, but right enough to pass. It baffles me that when you buy a matched set they aren't machined to fit WITHOUT shims. If I wanted to fiddle with shims and setup, I'd buy the reversible cutter. The Jesada 'company line' might be that they build in a 'sharpening' tolerance and therefore shimming is required. I heard this when I bought a glue-line bit that won't work because it's too tight. I couldn't clamp poplar test pieces closed without glue using Jorgensen I-Bar clamps...and that's about as much clamp as you can put on something. When I called, I was told they'd had complaints from people that the bit was no good after sharpening...so they'd tightened up the tolerance to allow for sharpening.

Straight bits, roundovers, molding profiles and panel raisers, give me Jesada. But not the R/S.

KC

Same here, I had to shim like crazy. If fact they even had to send me additional shims.

After it was all said and done, the tougue and groove are tight, and the radius it tight at the top, but open at the bottom. The radius on the two cutters don't match, and no amount of shimming will ever make them match.

Needless to say, I was not happy with the purchase.

I'm really glad this topic came up. I live 4-5 minutes from Jesada and have been there twice. I was going to try out their bits with the rail/stile and raised panel door $99 set. I think after hearing this I'll pass. Darn....I liked that $99 price.

Aaron

I have mlcs stack set I get it close after glue up I run the dorrs thru the drum sander I know not the right way and it should be setup right but the small things drive me nuts,
    Mike

My CMT rail/stile bits are dead on. Plop 'em in, cut, and the rail and stiles fit like I am a pro or something! (Definately the 'or something' but that is for the OT forum!)

Judging by the color, I think NORM uses Freud and, of course, his do fit like a pro.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have no experience with the Jesada bits but I just received a matching Freud ogee rail and stile bit set in the mail last night. I tried them out on some 3/4" MDF and made a mock up of a door that I'll need to replicate for some cabinets. The profiles match perfectly although it takes a little fiddling to get the heights above the router table just right. Once I did, I made a couple of set up blocks out of some of the scrap MDF. This makes is dirt simple to dial them in the next time. The mocked up door frames came out just fine with the frame faces matching almost perfectly. The difference was less than the thickness of a piece of paper. Working with the MDF taught me a couple of things about technique that will save some expensive hard maple later.

I get to play with the matching panel raiser bit tonight. At $139 for the three piece set, this was a real bargain!
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

I have a story at the link below about setting up these bits (I even used Jesada's in the story) that has been helpful to others. Give it a look.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/ralstilbitset.html

This gets much easier once you do it a couple of times and know what to expect from adjustments. Hang in there!
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

I've had experience with two different sets of Jesada bits.

The bits I bought didn't work from the factory, but I was able to change the shims to get them right.

The bits a customer of mine bought for his kitchen were not shimmable. The gap was in the wrong place. I ended up using my bits for his kitchen.

I love the sharpness of the bits by Jesada, but whoever puts the R&S bits together needs to check them at the factory for fit before shipping them. I guess they use the customer for QC, cheaper that way, and some people might never know the difference.

Uh Oh. I just read this post. I have ordered a mini door set from Jesada a week ago, but have not heard back from them. I have had great service from their products in the past. Seems that I read somewhere that they are having some kind of problems but I have no specific info on that. If I don't here back from them by tommorrow morning, I'll just go ahead and cancel. The set comes with rail & stile bits and a horizontal raised panel bit. Anyone know where else I can get a similar mini set? Thanks.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Stan,

Try here...Sommerfeld's sells CMT bits. CMT is about all I'll buy:

http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/products.asp?id=158

I can't say for sure that Sommerfelds has the best prices but at least CMT has an example of what you are looking for.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I've been using the Whiteside bits with no problems...I don't like the reversables and use the individual rail and stile bits exclusively

Smile

Thanks Chris. I was able to find the post I was concerned about on the WWA Forum. Some guy had already been waiting for 4 months! Incredible! I'm cancelling asap. I have some CMT bits when Jesada was still CMT and they have held up quite well.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith