Thread: Basic Bookcase Project

Basic Bookcase Project

After a long hiatus, I recenlty started to get back into woodworking. I've learned much from this forum and wanted to pass along a big "Thank you". Also, since folks on SMC seem to like pics, here are a few happy snaps of my first real project since "retooling".

LOML told me she wanted something to hold my daughter's baskets, books and nick-nacks. Her specifications were, "Low, wide and I want it stained dark". This didn't give me much to go on, but I found a plan for an 'Under the Window Bookcase' online. I don't like the proverbial "brown blob" look so I decided to try something two-tone.

I modified the plan a little. It called for using pre-made molding and trim. I decided to make my own so it wouldn't look like I just tacked on pre-made moulding. This bookcase is made from 3/4 birch ply and 3/4 red oak: both from my local Borg. The back piece is 1/4. It's also birch, but the color came out different than the 3/4. Since I'm just learning, I didn't feel it necessary to buy higher quality stock on this go 'round.

At first, I wasn't sure this project was going to turn out very well. As it came together, I was pleased. It actually looks better than I would have expected. How often does that happen?

For the finishes, I stained the oak trim with General Finishes 'Black Cherry' I literally had sitting on a shelf in my garage. I then gave it three coats of General Finishes Seal A Cell followed by Top Coat Oil and Urethane. The Seal A Cell gave the birch a nice, slightly amber color. I really liked that stuff and plan to use it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 07-20-2007 at 8:38 PM.

Nice shelf.
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

Is that a..

mountain lion next to your project? Shelf looks nice. Wife is after me to do the same thing for my daughters room. I think I will begging, borrowing and stealing your ideas. Great work

The "mountain lion" is my wife's very old cat. He took a sudden interest in that bookcase when I moved it to the driveway. He started to lose interest just as I took the picture. Although, we do have mountain lions in my town.

Funny, it seems the most basic projects often please the women in our lives the most. When I show my wife what I think are amazing, challenging examples of craftsmanship in wood, all I get is a yawn. But bookcases, shelving units and chests? "Ooh, I like that!".

Pat, that bookcase came out great especially if it's your first real project since "retooling". You certainly were able to avoid the proverbial "brown blob" look. Just look at what you were able to accomplish with wood from the BORG. I'm impressed. On your next go 'round I don't think you need worry about using higher quality stock. Like you I've just gotten back into woodworking, though my "retooling," as you call it, has broken my budget. Oh well, I'm having a blast and I can't take any of that money with me.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Nothing like a project to get the blood flowing! (Even the cat apparently recognizes that in his/her checking it out...) Very nice work, Pat.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I had forgotten how much I truly enjoy woodworking. I even enjoyed finishing this project, which I used to dislike. I think I was using the wrong products and the wrong technique back then.

Indeed, my budget is currently in recovery mode after setting up shop: and I don't even have a bandsaw yet. My last purchase was a Forrest WWII for the TS. That blade gave me very nice rips and crosscuts on the plywood and was worth every penny.

My dado blade was another story. It's an old, Delta wobble model. Most of the dados came out OK, but a few looked like I cut them with a chainsaw. Some of it sanded out, but I learned I simply must buy a nice stacked dado before I cut again.

One area which stumped me was how to get the trim pieces to meet up. I wanted those pieces rounded over on both sides, but this meant 90 degree angles wouldn't look right. I ended up leaving the top and bottom pieces full 3/4 thickness. I then planed down the side pieces allowing them to meet the top and bottom pieces below the roundover. I made the middle shelf trim piece thinner than the side pieces so it also meets the side pieces below the roundover. I don't know if this is a legitimate technique, but I think it worked.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 07-20-2007 at 10:42 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    ...I don't know if this is a legitimate technique, but I think it worked.
    I don't think you need to worry about "legitimate techniques." If it worked and looks good it's "legitimate" for that piece. That's all that should matter.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps