Thread: Broken DeWalt Miter Saw - any suggestions?

Broken DeWalt Miter Saw - any suggestions?

Hi...I'm wondering if anyone has experience working on DeWalt tools. I have a 12" Compound Miter Saw that broke a couple of days ago. I was working with it and everything was working as normal. I made a cut, set down my wood, picked up another piece to cut, and when I pulled the switch, nothing happened. I opened it up and blew the sawdust out of it. My first instinct was that the switch was broken, so I purchased a new one and replaced it, but that wasn't the problem. The only other thing I could think of was the brushes, but those look fine. I have minimal experience fixing tools, so I'm stumped at this point. I'd like to avoid taking it to the shop and being without it for who knows how long, if possible. I'd greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Post volt meter

You may have a disconnect to the motor possibly or a bad cord? check the chord by using an ohm meter on each of the leads from one end to the other if the meter/digital readout does nothing- it is a chord problem, then run the ohm meter from the motor leads touch the meter cable to both ends if there is no reading it is either a disconnect wire terminal or one of your motor windings has broken. you will find the problem with just the ohm meter- just have to narrow it down - I would start with the chord and go up from there, even check the switch- who knows - you may have gotten a lemon. If you don't have a volt meter they are fairly cheap and you can always use one to narrow an electrical problem.
    Hope this helps you and you will be back up and running.
    Brian
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 07-21-2007 at 5:57 PM. Reason: typo

re: volt meter

Thank you for you quick response, Brian...I will give that a try.

Recepticle

Did you try a different recepticle yet ? I'm not being a wise guy