Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: topics of interest to some, but not all.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Sawmill Creek is a group of "woodworking forums" with an 'Off Topic' forum which we have had from day 1. Since we have grown so large in the last year I am of the opinion that we should eliminate the off topic forum. It takes more time to moderate the off topic forum than all the others and causes more controversy than the others combined. Like it has been noted, there are lots of places on the internet to discuss whatever you are interested so I think we should can the thing.

Go to "GlobalWarming.com" or "GasPrices.com" and such .
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 07-24-2007 at 10:49 AM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I'd rather just be able to choose which forums are listed when I click on "New Posts." I have absolutely no interest in reading the Laser forum, the EZ forum, Penn's Wood forum, or the Bow Clamp forum, and have very little interest in the turning forum.

It bugs me to have to sort through all the messages on those forums in order to read only the forums that interest me.

What we really need is the ability to choose which forums we want, while disregarding the rest.

My 2¢ worth.

Jim, I am a member on another vBulletin-powered website, and the admin there has enabled that very feature. It's especially nice there because they have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 individual forums.

I'm sure there are plenty here who would be willing to chip in some time and help in the moderation duties. Myself included.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Jim,

I expect Aaron will chime in on this topic and share his view as to whether this is possible via the built-in vBulletin services, whether it is a hack that is available or whether he would have to custom program something to make it happen. The latter is out of our reach this year as we didn't collect enough donations to support any programing costs.

Clearly the ability to select or subscribe to just the Forums you are interested in and have the "New Posts" feature limit the posts to your favorite Forums would be a feature most would enjoy. Let's see what Aaron has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Clearly the ability to select or subscribe to just the Forums you are interested in and have the "New Posts" feature limit the posts to your favorite Forums would be a feature most would enjoy. Let's see what Aaron has to say.
    Most definitely. Not that there's not good stuff in all the forums, but there are some I rarely read and I'm sure the same is true for others.