Thread: New Belt/Disk Sander - What grit to buy

New Belt/Disk Sander - What grit to buy

I finally found a deal on a 6x48/12" sander combo, and now I need to figure out what grit to buy. Is there a grit that is generically better than the rest? I figured that maybe I would buy both in the 80 or 100 grit. I fear that if I get anything higher in grit the belt would just clog up. I know, the answer is "it depends", but I have to start somewhere so I can make an evaluation from there.
    Jim

I've pretty much only used 80 grit belts/disks on mine. Good ones seem to last a long time if you buy one of those gum cleaning sticks.

I think I have 100 grit on mine, but 80 would also be a good choice. These machines are for shaping wood and those grits are efficient for that purpose without being too aggressive.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

80 If you are primarily using them for shaping, 100 or finer if you are going to grind chisels or plain blades (note; once you use a belt for metal, it is trashed for wood), 100 disk, if you are using it for finer stuff such as sanding miters etc..

Get one of the gum sticks, they will not only prolong the life of the abrasives in your Stationary Sanders, but in your portable belt sanders or finishing sanders.

Jim, I'd second what everyone has said and utilize both 80 and 100 grit on our belt sander, takes care of most sanding needs, including dressing the tool rests for both lathes.

Michael's got great advice for you on the gum stick; we couldn't believe how well that worked, and how long not only the stick lasts, but the life of the belts.

Best to you, Jude

Thanks guys. I already have the gum stick for my hand helds (also doubles as a grinder wheel slower-downer).
    Jim

Blog Entries
    I tried moving from 80 to 120. the 120 was difficult to control as far as burn. I went back to 80.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I guess I am going to have to be differnt and say that I have used mine all the way up to 220 grit with good results in flushing down proud dovetail joints in making small boxes. I do have varible speed on mine and that may make a difference. Actually the cheapy model I have does a pretty good job all around.

What I really need is a spindle sander unit or combo to go with or replace it

When I had mine, [I wore it out numerous times then sold it] I generally stayed with 80 grit belts.

I have an 80 grit disc and a 100 and 150 belts. 100 belt is on most of the time but I do sand boxes to 150 grit sometimes before I hand sand.

Corey

Mine almost always has 80g on the disc and usually 120g or 150g on the belt. I dont use the belt near as much as the disc but when I do, it's mostly on the edges of projects where the finer grit works better for me.
    Use the fence Luke

I generally use 120 grit on my horizontal belt sander as I find 80 or 100 grit to be too aggresive. However, 80 grit is great for serious shaping. It does depend on your sander though (i.e 100 on one may cut like 120 on another)

I have a variety of grits ranging from 60 to 240.

The finer grits are rarely used.

I 100 on the disc and 120/150 on the belt. Make sure on the belt you get a butt joint belt. It sounds elementary but I did not pay attention once and got a joint that was overlap and the sander was kicking like a mule with that belt.
    Congrats for the new tool/toy