Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Old Is???

How Old Is???

I was watching Norm today work on a western themed cabinet. I do enjoy his work. Anyone venture a guess how old Norm Abrams is??? How many more years do you think he will do his Yankee Workshop show??? I hope he continues as long as he can. I do notice though he has devolped a shaky hand lately. Hope this is nothing serious.
    John T.

He is a puppy compared to Sam Maloof.

Gary K.

Hi John,

Norm's show is often lots of fun! No, I don't know the gentleman nor have I noticed anything wrong, but wish him well all the same as you do. You can look him up on Wickopedia if you like, says he was born in 1950. Might be interesting to you to read through is bio, I enjoyed it. Take care. Jude

He was born in 1950 so he's actually pushin' 60 .. he's aging quite well, i'd say! When I met him friday (at AWFS), he looked pretty much the same as I've seen him on tv for all these years - a few grays, but mostly youthful. He's holding up well, it seems!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009092/
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I too, have noticed the shaky hands but, that really doesn't mean much. I read an article last year suggesting that this may be Norm's last year at NYW and that he is looking to let go of the TV schedule and go into semi-retirement. While I disagree with some of his techniques I've learned very much from his "Normness" and will miss him when he does leave.

I, too have learned a lot from Norm but more importantly, was inspired to begin woodworking because of Norm.

It's been particularly interesting to watch his woodworking skills evolve over the years of his program. He's gone from using drywall screws, to biscuits, to pocket screws and now to more refined joinery techniques. I doubt if he will ever discard his brad nailer, though.

I hope he continues with his show for many more years.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

7. Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    I, too have learned a lot from Norm but more importantly, was inspired to begin woodworking because of Norm.

It's been particularly interesting to watch his woodworking skills evolve over the years of his program. He's gone from using drywall screws, to biscuits, to pocket screws and now to more refined joinery techniques. I doubt if he will ever discard his brad nailer, though.

I hope he continues with his show for many more years.
    My sentiments exactly. I guess I've been watching him for the last ten years or so. I'd like to have a library of all the recordings, but my pockets are lined with lint. My favorite episode all time was the H.O. Studley tool chest. That convinced me that I could fit a woodworking shop into my 2car garage.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clevenger View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I guess I've been watching him for the last ten years or so. I'd like to have a library of all the recordings.
    Funny, I did exactly that. I have the Ultimate TV, which is Microsofts version of TIVO, and had Norm and NYW on autorecord. I dumped a lot of them on VHS's, so I could create a library, whenever I wanted to do something, I could look it up. Unfortunately, the stuff in the last year, was on the hard drive in the "TIVO" when it crashed, and I had the drive replaced, but not the shows. Since getting it back, I have built up his latest ones as well.
    Not to feel at a loss at not having missed any though. The one thing I noticed is that the projects are all reducible to techniques, that are repeatable, and applied to each project. Like learning a language, then embellishing from there.
    Last edited by Bob Feeser; 07-22-2007 at 9:07 PM.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    He was born in 1950 so he's actually pushin' 60 .. he's aging quite well, i'd say! When I met him friday (at AWFS), he looked pretty much the same as I've seen him on tv for all these years - a few grays, but mostly youthful. He's holding up well, it seems!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009092/
    Wait a minute here!!! I was born in 1950 and I'm just pushing 57! I'm not pushing that hard either.

Wish Norm and I many more years in the shop and about town.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

I started watching Norm when I was in college. That was 20+ yrs ago. I remember sitting in the living room on the weekends watching him with my roomates.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    I started watching Norm when I was in college. That was 20+ yrs ago. I remember sitting in the living room on the weekends watching him with my roomates.
    Sounds like a swinging college life.

Only Kidding....Gary K.

Norm is a First Class Guy.....

With all the crap on TV nowdays I consider the New Yankee Workshop "THE BEST" program on the air.....

I been watching Norm for many years and in all that time I've never heard him use foul language or make any off color,lewd,or sexually suggestive remark. I respect him for that!

NYW is GOOD, CLEAN (except for wood dust! ) INFORMATIVE, FAMILY, Entertainment!!!

Norm is a class act and I hope he stays healthy enough to continue for many more years......
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Langford View Post
    With all the crap on TV nowdays I consider the New Yankee Workshop "THE BEST" program on the air.....

I been watching Norm for many years and in all that time I've never heard him use foul language or make any off color,lewd,or sexually suggestive remark. I respect him for that!

NYW is GOOD, CLEAN (except for wood dust! ) INFORMATIVE, FAMILY, Entertainment!!!

Norm is a class act and I hope he stays healthy enough to continue for many more years......
    Mike said "crap"
    Gary K........only kidding, Mike

Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Sounds like a swinging college life.

Only Kidding....Gary K.
    Watched Sunday mornings while recovering from the previous night.

College life was a little too swinging, my freshman year.
    Where did I put that tape measure...