Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subtle changes big difference. Pic and Question.

Subtle changes big difference. Pic and Question.

Here is a vanity I'm working for the guest bathroom. At first I was going with a solid base and I thought it was to bold so I went with the curves. To me it made a world of difference.
    The question now is: My wife came up with the odd idea of putting the sink off center (SEE SECOND SET OF PICTURES) and as much I think it would not look right I like to collect some of your opinions. The vanity's right side is going to be against a wall (corner cabinet) and she thinks that having more space on one side is more convinient. I can agree with that but the estetics matteres as well.
    The last question is what is the minimum distance I should set the sink from the front edege?
    Thanks for looking and the comments.
    Alex

Last edited by Alex Elias; 07-23-2007 at 5:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    The offset sink looks fine, but I would not offset it to the wall side of the vanity (if there is a wall side). Meaning, make sure there is plenty of elbow room while standing there.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

I would be concerned with toe space, both with your design as is, and especially with the offset sink location. You may want to do some "comfort testing" of the design as you go a long.

The cabinet looks great!

I agree with Tim... what about toe space?

And, sorry, but I think that curved bottom may be a mistake. A vanity is something that you permanently mount to the wall, so how are you going to clean underneath it!? Trust me, stuff is going to roll under. IMHO, a vanity needs to have a base that is closed in, and flush to the floor.

But I do love the fluted side trim!

As for the sink... As a guest bathroom, it will not see that much use, nor will there be much "stuff" stored on the counter. So I would vote for aesthetics over utility. That said, it doesn't look that bad with the sink off center.
    "It's Not About You."

The cabonet is looking great. It has some very nice details.

I concur with what has been said in the last three posts, especially the solid base and it needing a space at the bottom for toes. If the right end will be against a wall, ofestting the sink like you show in the last picture might be best because it will allow literally for more elbow room. My bathroom sink is a little too close to the wall on the right and I sometimes hit the medicin cabinet with my elbow.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    IMHO, a vanity needs to have a base that is closed in, and flush to the floor.
    A hidden toe kick solves this problem relative to debris and tray makeup rolling under the unit. (My vanities are engineered that way)

-----
    Relative to the bowl offset, I like the idea and am actually doing that with my master bath vanities, but for the 36" unit for the guest bath, I chose to keep it in the middle. If you do offset, I suggest away from the wall, not closest to the wall for maximum comfort to the user.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Alex,

I've been told, and it appears that it's correct, that a 1/3-2/3rds rule applies to design. I know that in photography, it really holds true. For instance, offsetting the sink left so the center is about 1/3 of the distance from one end of the vanity. You may want to try different amounts of offset and see if it looks better. To balance the look, you might also consider mounting the faucet on the right side, toward the back, about the 1 -2 o-clock position.

That is a great looking vanity. I hope your guests appreciate what you've given them.

Greg

Thanks for the feed back. Seems like I'm going to reconsider the idea of the off set sink. The right side of the cabinet is going to be againg the wall so if I offset the sink is going to be farther from the wall. I still need to see what is going to look like. I guess once finish I could set it in place and play arround with the idea before we cut the granite.
    As far as the base is concern, if I did not cut it at all clearance was going to be an issue regardless (due to the design) the other option was to cut a bigger straight arch. After drawing all 3 options I run the desing concepts by the wife and explain the pitfall clearance and she still liked the one shown, so that was the winner. As for the cleaning under the cabinet is concern, that is not my department. I just build it, someone else will do the cleaning.
    Thanks again for the responses.
    Alex

An opinion

Center the sink with the false panel on the face, thus offsetting it. Very close to where you have it in the picture.

Blog Entries
    I would prefer the offset sink (offset away from the wall). Leaves some sinktop and makes it easy to get at the sink. Fancy faucet could come in from the centerline of the cabinet at a 45* to the sink.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

11. Just my opinion. I like the idea of being able to see/clean under the base. I am always reticent to create a convenient fort for the little critters to set up shop. As far as cleaning under there, a simple round long feather duster should do the job. (Not that I am a cleaning junkie) Others could probably give you some better solutions there. I also like what the cutting out did for the style. I think with the other aesthetics of this piece, with one simple cut out on the bottom, it went from looking a little bit like an industrial planer, to a finely designed furniture piece. I totally agree with you when you said, "It was too bold, and the cut made a world of difference".

Pertaining to the bottom having a sharp edge on it, and creating a danger for the toes, I am at a loss for an ideal solution. The sharp edges actually add to the aesthetics. Naturally you think, round the edges, and cut the sharp tips a little rounder on each side of the bottom. The problem is that I like the look of the sharp edges and tips that echo the crisp lines of the piece. That's a tough one. Currently my bathrooms have old vanities and they have the toe kick, enclosed bottoms, as well as the kitchen cabinets, which have the same. I can see how that would solve a lot of problems.

As far as the offset with the sink basin, my initial thinking is that with the sink in the middle, you have the best chance of avoiding the splash factor hitting the floor, and/or an adjoining wall. I'd rather see it stay contained on the easy to clean up counter top area. Bending over to clean up any splashing on the floor is great if you're looking to practice yoga while cleaning. Additionally, if you decide to keep the sharp tips on the bottom, the basin in the center will help increase the likelihood that a foot will make it under the softer rounded center, rather than in the offset area, where the sharp tips are.

I'm planning on creating bathroom vanities for 2 bathrooms, so this post is giving me a lot of room for thought. I too like the fluting, and it looks like the grain pattern in the wood will look great if you are planning on naturally finishing it. Nice looking piece.
    Last edited by Bob Feeser; 07-23-2007 at 11:33 PM.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Alex,
    I'm in line with everyone else regarding toe space. But, everyone else is missing the boat about sink placement. Momma wants it offset? Offset it is! If Momma ain't happy, nobody is.
    Just my $.02 after a long term (22 years) relationship with my wife.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

Cool

[quote=Jim Becker;626481]A hidden toe kick solves this problem relative to debris and tray makeup rolling under the unit. (My vanities are engineered that way)...

I was wondering about that in Jim's design. The hidden toe kick would help solve some of the problems. If the "cut out" at the bottom (new design) is sufficent for toes to fit under it will work especially if you add an additional hidden board, as Jim has suggested.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Feeser View Post
    Just my opinion. I like the idea of being able to see/clean under the base. I am always reticent to create a convenient fort for the little critters to set up shop. As far as cleaning under there, a simple round long feather duster should do the job. (Not that I am a cleaning junkie) Others could probably give you some better solutions there. I also like what the cutting out did for the style. I think with the other aesthetics of this piece, with one simple cut out on the bottom, it went from looking a little bit like an industrial planer, to a finely designed furniture piece. I totally agree with you when you said, "It was too bold, and the cut made a world of difference".

Pertaining to the bottom having a sharp edge on it, and creating a danger for the toes, I am at a loss for an ideal solution. The sharp edges actually add to the aesthetics. Naturally you think, round the edges, and cut the sharp tips a little rounder on each side of the bottom. The problem is that I like the look of the sharp edges and tips that echo the crisp lines of the piece. That's a tough one. Currently my bathrooms have old vanities and they have the toe kick, enclosed bottoms, as well as the kitchen cabinets, which have the same. I can see how that would solve a lot of problems.

As far as the offset with the sink basin, my initial thinking is that with the sink in the middle, you have the best chance of avoiding the splash factor hitting the floor, and/or an adjoining wall. I'd rather see it stay contained on the easy to clean up counter top area. Bending over to clean up any splashing on the floor is great if you're looking to practice yoga while cleaning. Additionally, if you decide to keep the sharp tips on the bottom, the basin in the center will help increase the likelihood that a foot will make it under the softer rounded center, rather than in the offset area, where the sharp tips are.

I'm planning on creating bathroom vanities for 2 bathrooms, so this post is giving me a lot of room for thought. I too like the fluting, and it looks like the grain pattern in the wood will look great if you are planning on naturally finishing it. Nice looking piece.
    Thanks for your thoughts. Seems like we thinks a bit similar since I did use a fine rasp and work those poinst a bit enough to were it could hurt a bit if you go hard at it, but not enough to create damage unless you were a jealous gest and meant to kick it Also you are right to say that if it is on the middle the feet will most likely fit in the bigger openings.
    The one thing I have to admit did not crossed my mind was the splash, chances are I will put it on the center. I still have to get more trained eyes and once I set the cabinet in its place I'll be able to tell I'ts final destiny.
    I'll post pics in a week or two when I'm done.

First, nicely done.

It's not like you don't have a wealth of opinions but having done this a few years ago with a very similar size cabinet and round sink, and wall to the right I'll weigh in. First this was my wife's bathroom and the top filled up so fast with stuff when finished the location of the sink wasn't as dramatic as we thought it might be. We really did go though the same process balancing the sink on the cabinet and moving it back and forth. We used center. For a guest bathroom I'd be temped to use the left position to accomodate having a larger space in which to arrange something more interesting- a vase of fresh flowers when you have company or something like that. Regardless my wife would immediately fill up the space anyway with something involving baskets, dried stuff, fancy soaps, all the junk you have to work around just to get to the water.

Looking forward to those final pictures.

Larry