Thread: shop lighting

shop lighting

i just wanted to post a thanks/testimonial to some of the advice i found here concerning lighting in the shop..

i recently started setting up "shop" in my 20'x20' garage- "shop" used to be mainly onsite/in the yard for me and its nice to have a hard surface with a roof in order to get things done.

one of the tips i used from here was to use full spectrum flourescents - i remember a lot of ppl suggesting it (but had forgotten the cited reasoning behind it) and installed like 7 fixtures out there.

i was building a pair of built in bookcases for a job and got to the point of priming them, and the lights made every little flaw in the primer stand out like it was the end of the world- so i recoated and sanded until i got to the point that i was telling myself "if they dont like it they can sue me" which took a while but i finally stopped.

installed em yesterday and wouldnt you know, the living room theyre now in has much softer lighting and the stuff i thought was glaringly defective isnt even visible..

hmm i think i remember the reasoning behind good lighting now..

some pics of the job:

before:

after(almost- as im heading back tonight to add a few mouldings/topcoat) :

Those shelves are a great addition to that room. Nice!

And yes, great lighting in your shop will help to insure that your projects look good no matter where they get installed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fixture question

Dan,
    Can you tell me specifically which fixtures and lamps you purchased? Also, did you get them at the borg or a local place?
    Thanks,
    Merle
    Thanks,
    Merle

Quote Originally Posted by Merle Clor View Post
    Dan,
    Can you tell me specifically which fixtures and lamps you purchased? Also, did you get them at the borg or a local place?
    Thanks,
    Merle

picked a couple of em up at the Menardsborg @~12-13 apiece -i got the cheaper (T12 i think?) two bulb ones which have a bit of flex in the bodies-but that dont matter too much since theyre screwed to scrap plywood which is in turn screwed to the rafters in the garshop..

also have a few fixtrues that came out of a public housing rehab where my electrician brother is working..

as for bulbs- i got some sylvania 40w full spectrum from menards but one of em burnt up and the replacements are phillips, which are a lot better in my opinion..

my brother tells me theyre throwing away/replacing all the gas furnaces in the project hes on and that as soon as he gets a chance hes gonna throw one on the truck for me..