Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beall Angle measuring device

Beall Angle measuring device

Hi:

I wonder if the specs. on this device mean it is that accurate? It will "....read relative angles to a resolution of .05 with an accuracy of +/- .1."

I want to cut 45 degree angles on a table saw for box making. Will this be an asset worth $40.00?

Thanks

Steve Bolton
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just ordered one today. You might want to read (and view the accompanying video demo) at the following website:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...iltboxrvu.html

I believe the accuracy IIRC is .1 degree. Accuracy and resolution are two different things as you have supposed.

It has received good reviews, and I haven't run across any complaints.

You can always set-up 45* cuts without one of these digital units.

I like mine. I've had it for a couple months, and have found it to be very accurate,

I also have the Wixey. It's also very accurate - just as accurate as the Beall, in fact.

The Beall has a metal case and magnets on the side.

The Wixey has a plastic case and magnets on the bottom.

For the Beall, you zero it on the saw's table, then just slide it over to the blade and let the magnets hook up. It then reads the tilt angle directly.

The Wixey is slightly different: You still zero it out on the saw's table, but then you have to turn it on its side to attach it to the blade. For a left-tilting saw, you then have to count down from 90 to get the angle you want.

The Beall uses a readily available 9 volt battery, but you do need to open up the case (using the included screwdriver) to change it. The Wixey uses a coin-type battery, but you don't have to take the cover off to change it - just open the access door on the case.

Overall, my preference is for the Beall.

BTW, the only reason I have both is that one was given to me as a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    BTW, the only reason I have both is that one was given to me as a gift.
    And I was just getting to wonder if you had a fixation for digital angle devices. ;-0

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    And I was just getting to wonder if you had a fixation for digital angle devices. ;-0
    You make that sound bad.

Gary K.

How does one eliminate any cosine error that may occur when the blade moves, or if the user places the tilt box on the blade in a way that lays the tilt box off on some unknown amount out from a dead vertical position. I don't mean the axis that is secured by the magnets I mean the axis that can be found by twisting the tilt box with the magnets in contact with the blade - or simply rotating the blade a bit.

I have both. They both have their strong points.

First, the Wixey is not plastic. Just the front and back are plastic. The rest is an aluminum extrusion.

2nd, having the magnets on the bottom (like the Wixey) makes sense. That way you are always referencing the same surface of the gauge.

I find that the Beall wobbles a little on a flat surface.

The Wixey uses a pendulum. The Beall uses some newfangled technology.

I have a Beall and can not use it, it just has to much sensitivity and I can set it on my saw and it will never 0 out but a few times if I don't move and the wind is not blowing.

So I still just use my good old drafting triangle to set my blade.

My shop is on a metal frame on blocks and the frame moves to much for it I guess.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Bolton View Post
    Hi:

I wonder if the specs. on this device mean it is that accurate? It will "....read relative angles to a resolution of .05 with an accuracy of +/- .1."

I want to cut 45 degree angles on a table saw for box making. Will this be an asset worth $40.00?

Thanks

Steve Bolton
    I used the Wixey which is .05 less accurate readout-wise and my boxes worked out fine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I have both. They both have their strong points.

First, the Wixey is not plastic. Just the front and back are plastic. The rest is an aluminum extrusion.

2nd, having the magnets on the bottom (like the Wixey) makes sense. That way you are always referencing the same surface of the gauge.

I find that the Beall wobbles a little on a flat surface.

The Wixey uses a pendulum. The Beall uses some newfangled technology.
    Considering your negative comments about the Beall, I'm curious what you find as, "Strong points" with the Beall as compared to the Wixey. I think that they are both excellent tools but I found the Beall to be equal to or superior in pretty much every way. At least in the ways that I tested it, anyway. But I would be happy to have either one if I didn't have a choice.

If you read the whole SMC thread linked earlier in this thread you'll see in post #14 that I specifically address the, "Plastic" comment. I should've been more clear in my review that the Wixey is a mix of both plastic and metal. I explained that clearly in post #14 though.

My Beall sits perfectly flat. This is the first complaint I've heard like this. Did you try calling Beall? I'm certain they will take care of you if it's defective. The first one I received had a problem with the buttons. They paid for return shipping and sent me another one right away. Excellent customer service, and really nice people.

You MUST be joking about the, "Newfangled technology" comment, right? If not, well, I won't bother explaining why I see this as making no sense.

Bruce

14. Just to up date:
    I e-mailed Tom Hintz about his Beal review. I asked the same question I posted above about Cosine error when the operator sets the thing on the blade at a slight angle or the blade moves a bit.
    He said he tried to induce error that way and found no error developing.

And

I emailed Beal with the same question this was the reply:

Quote Originally Posted by from Beal
    "It appears that that axis is not too critical to its operation. A few degrees fore or aft does not seem to matter."
    So apparently they (Beal) haven't got a mechanism to correct for cosine error but rather they expect that you'll visually place it accurately enough.

Maybe some consistent physical vertical reference like a square along the front or back as you place it might be a good idea.
    Last edited by Cliff Rohrabacher; 07-26-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Benjamin View Post
    Considering your negative comments about the Beall, I'm curious what you find as, "Strong points" with the Beall as compared to the Wixey. I think that they are both excellent tools but I found the Beall to be equal to or superior in pretty much every way. At least in the ways that I tested it, anyway. But I would be happy to have either one if I didn't have a choice.

If you read the whole SMC thread linked earlier in this thread you'll see in post #14 that I specifically address the, "Plastic" comment. I should've been more clear in my review that the Wixey is a mix of both plastic and metal. I explained that clearly in post #14 though.

My Beall sits perfectly flat. This is the first complaint I've heard like this. Did you try calling Beall? I'm certain they will take care of you if it's defective. The first one I received had a problem with the buttons. They paid for return shipping and sent me another one right away. Excellent customer service, and really nice people.

You MUST be joking about the, "Newfangled technology" comment, right? If not, well, I won't bother explaining why I see this as making no sense.

Bruce
    The only reason I brought up the plastic/metal comment is that it was once again mentioned by another poster in this very thread that the Wixey is plastic. I've also seen this mentioned [and corrected] in your previous thread, and on other forums. It just stands repeating that the Wixey isn't some plastic toy.

The Beall wobbles on at least two sides on my reference plate. Probably off by approx. .001" or less (I did not measure it). I did not call Beall as it seems to me that the design of the unit, with the painted case, will tend towards that sort of problem. That is, it seems to me to be a design issue, not a manufacturing issue. It almost feels like the surfaces need to be lapped.

As sensitive as the Beall seems to be, it strikes me as odd that the wobble doesn't seem to introduce any artifacts into the readings. Cosine issues, I guess.

The Beall's strong points would be the extra sensitivity and the newfangled technology inclinometer that they are using. The Wixey still uses a pendulum, which off course can introduce friction error.