Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you say to yourself? What was said to you?

What would you say to yourself? What was said to you?

I suppose this would actually qualify as "every topic" vice "off topic", but I couldn't think of a better place to put this...Anyway, here goes:

I asked within the Sign Design & Fabrication messages what piece of advice could folks give to someone just getting interested in sandblasting - Got some good replies (I still go back and re-read them!), but it got me wondering about applying the same tactic to woodworking in general (and anything specifically, from turning to carving to sandblasting to...you name it!). So...

What one piece of advice:

a)...Would you like to give yourself were you able to go back to when you first started working with wood?

and/or

b)...Was the best piece of advice someone gave you when you first started out?

My own responses (keeping in mind I'm really just starting out) would be:

a) "You know how Dad told you to have patience? And how you thought you'd prepared yourself to be very, very patient? Yeah, you'll still need to work on that!"

b) Again from my father - "Have fun, and enjoy both the good and the bad - Even the mistakes you'll make will be done working on something that brings you joy - I can think of worse ways to make mistakes."

OK, tag, you're it - I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Best regards,

Evan

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Take some lessons or find a mentor.
    I spent years flailing about in the dark trying to do things myself.
    There is no guide like someone that has been there before.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Learn what sharp is. Then learn how to get there.

Ken

Exactly - I couldn't agree with Tyler's last line more - There certainly is no substitute for learning from your own experience, but learning from others is certainly preferable to the darkness a complete lack of knowledge presents - That's why I'm here on the boards: Learn from others, and help where I can.

Thanks, Tyler, for replying!
    Best regards,

Evan

Whoa, Nelly. There are so many.

Study and understand the theories and techniques better before grabbing the first tool.

Try to learn what a tool is good for and not good for before spending a bunch of money on the wrong things.

When you're a kid and your dad "makes" you help him in the shop, quit fighting it and learn something.

Mistakes are not the end of the world, so don't throw a tantrum--fix it!
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Werner View Post
    Learn what sharp is. Then learn how to get there.

Ken

I'll second that ...

My second best is:

You only cry once when you buy the good tools. You cry everytime you use that cheap one.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Have fun~!! And I have.

I agree with find a mentor and learn.

But also the buy a good tool once cry once. Buy a cheap tool cry everytime you use and replace it.

Mine,
    find a job you love and you will never work a day in your life!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

When all the books, and all the people that know, say,"This is how you do this." Don't try to reinvent the wheel until you have been successful at doing it first. Jim (who had a better way of building his first set of kitchen cabinets...it's a wonder my wife allows me to have woodworking tools! )
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Enjoyable thread here, Evan. I'd agree with all that's been said and would add this - "you can do it." Not only patience, being careful, having a great mentor (in my case my Dad when we were little kids) - but self confidence. My Dad told me once: "don't you ever forget, Jude, you can do anything these ol' boys can do." (I have four brothers). I believed him and it served me well, not only in the shop, but in a career and not in a competative sense, but with some self confidence. If I set my mind to it, take time and figure out where I want to go and how to get there, yep, I can - do anything those ol' boys can do. Jude

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    You only cry once when you buy the good tools. You cry everytime you use that cheap one.
    That may be true, but there's a corollary.

Work wood. It's good for you.

Even if all you can afford is a pocket knife and a branch, start making something.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

One word of advice sums it up for me

"Listen"

Try at least one new thing each project...technique, tool, joinery design, etc...and it should always be something harder/different then you have done before. Challenge promotes learning.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good one Gail.!!!!

Mine would be:
    Wood moves every season, design and plan for it in your furniture.
    This is WOODworking and not Metalworking, your measurements do not have to be in .001" increments.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

The best advice I ever got was from my folks, and it involved everything in life, not just woodworking - If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

The best lesson in ww was in 7th grade woodshop. Huge shop full of machinery, and we were made to make everything with hand tools, even drilling holes. Now, I have a shop full of power tools and I'm getting back to my roots. You can buy many hand planes for the price of one edge sander.