Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you say to yourself? What was said to you?

"It takes less time to do it right than to do it over."

"measure twice, cut once".

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Stockton View Post
    What one piece of advice:

a)...Would you like to give yourself were you able to go back to when you first started working with wood?
    Buy a lathe...a good one at that. And forget everything else.

"Measure twice, cut once" is a mantra I repeat to myself as I'm drawing out plans and figuring lengths - Good to see someone mention it here.

Really good to see all of these responses - Thanks, folks - I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds the replies entertaining and (not to get too hokey) enlightening as well...

Thanks again, and please keep 'em coming - All of you combined equates to hundreds (thousands?) of years of experience, and I can't tell you how much the newbies appreciate learning from you all. I do, that's for sure...

Take care...
    Best regards,

Evan

Hal's - It is faster to do it right then over.

"It only hurts for a little while" - Said by dad when I was complaining about the cost of a new tool. "The most expensive tool is the one you buy twice" would also suffice.

"When you step through that door (the shop) you better make sure your head and behind (substitute your favorite word here) are wired together. Everything in here will hurt you if you get stupid" - Old shop teacher

"You can't see it from the road on a galloping horse" - Answer to does this look ok.

"close enough, your not building cabinets." - Heard in construction - CAUTION - does not work if you really are building cabinets.

"Heck with it, its only Bill's house" - Me while helping a friend build.

The number one piece of advice....

"Start with 10, end with 10" - Don't know where I first heard that.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Why is there never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it over.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

From a feller named Hickory.

Turn fast, sand slow.
    No amount of finish will hide tool marks or a bad sanding job.

I know these to be true.

Since I didn't come from a family of woodworkers (or for that matter, good diyer's) (I think afro engineering would be a step up), my best advice came mostly from watching all in the family as a kid.

There are at least two sides to anything. Never be afraid to learn from others. Shut your mouth, open your eyes and learn, because you'll know when you need to ask a question.

Then later from others, "Be sure to Read, understand and follow....", thanks Norm!
    Measure twice, cut once.
    Buy the best you can afford
    If you want something done right, do it yourself, as you can only depend on yourself.
    Don't be afraid to learn from others.

Then my advice (learned the hard way). If you find something you enjoy, Shut the he(censored) up about it. Because it will turn into work and too much of it (computers, cars (mechanical and body), and a few others). Worked 7 days a week for 3 years (had Christmas eve, Christmas, and Easter off, that is it), and some of those places want me back still.
    Once you've been an employee, (even a qualified diy'r to my electricians), it is next to impossible to go back to being a customer (walk in and get put to work).

The best lesson is by exspirience, but the wisest learn by others mistakes. Ask, listen, learn.