Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elderly woodworking

Elderly woodworking

I talked with a friend of mine last night, about his grandfather (raised him and his siblings, like a father). Last year at 95, he cut off two fingers at the tablesaw and cut off the circulation to them and waited for two hours for the relative that was going over that afternoon to get there. (didn't call 911 or use one of those alert necklaces, now 8 fingers)
    While he gets seen daily from his "kids", he stays/lives their alone at night, to feel independent (and is in better shape then those a lot younger). The family wanted to unplug everything, but they knew that 1. He'd replug it back in, and 2. Woodworking is still a big part of what he lives for.

At least two of the kids don't know or do woodworking, and I don't know for sure, but I don't think the third does either. I have one of the guided systems and may be sending it all his way, under the auspices of try this for a month and give me some feedback (he can keep the whole thing if it keeps him safe and he uses it, old habits die hard). The Sawstop is another option that most likely will be looked at. But that leaves out other tools, Jointer, cms/scms/ras, etc.. (no Xstop) I am going to try to get over there to see his shop and see if there is anything I know of or can provide (like Grrrippers or other helpful devices). I do know he can't exactly handle huge boards well, which is why I was leaning toward the guided systems, and I am not sure what type of projects he does now. So while I may be able to learn from him as well as watching out for (not gonna intrude), what procedures, tricks, safety devices, etc, have you seen older people using?

Nobody wants to be the one to take this away from the man, as they think it will kill him.

And yes I know, we should all be so lucky to make it that long and still be doing what we love!

Randal, no suggestions. But thank you for being willing to try to help this gentleman continue to do what he loves, but in a safer way. I hope he sees your act of kindness for what it is, and trys to implement some of your ideas. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

How about trying to convince him to use the bandsaw (with appropriate jigs) more since it can be safer?

Hopefully you can teach this old dog new tricks!

Work with him on good safety practices, watch how he works and then make appropriate suggestions. Concentrate on the major stuff and skip the small stuff for now. Or buy a MM Lab300 for now and let him use it until he passes away and then add it to your shop.

Dilema

Well I'd vote for leaving him alone. If losing 2 of his fingers didn't stop him why should anyone even think of it.

I know if he is like most woodworkers new tools would open his eyes big time. Get him if the family can afford it, Festool MFT, TS55 and the CT22 vac and then spend some time with him showing him how the system works.

I know the "old dogs new tricks" saying, but new tools like these can change anyones ways to doing woodworking safer...

Hi Randal,
    IMHO the man has a century of experience and the mind set of a time when if a man wanted something he made it himself or horse traded with someone who might do the job a bit better.
    From what you say, he is of sound mind and body and quite set in his ways.

"Assuming" that he is not a computer person and doesn't subscribe to all the wood working magazines:

I believe that if you used the right approach this man would be tickled to death to learn the progresses that have been made with these rail systems.
    I am only 60 years old but I do have an ailment that makes me unable to manhandle any large pieces on the table saw.

Since I have started using the rail system, I haven't run into anything I am not able to do. Another good thing is there is simply no sawdust to worry about. Slow? Yes (Not because of the tools.) but I manage to get it done.
    If he gets the idea that a well made Circular Saw and a couple of saw horses will do the job not only as good but sometimes better, he will surely work with you to add this additional safety to his shop.

Personally I use the Festool system. I could speak volumes on the reasons I like the plunge saw and no saw dust.
    However, there are other guided rail systems out there now that seems to be using their profits to constantly improve their system. If it were me, I would sit down with Granddad at the computer and bring up the different choices. I would be very surprised if he didn't get pretty excited looking at and discussing the concept with you.

I think you are right about not trying to take woodworking away from him. Many of us younger folks have accidents in the shop and go right back at it. I'm sure if there are any personal limitations that caused the accident, he now sees that limitation in bold print in his mind.

There was one tool I picked up for the table saw that I was really impressed with. Watch the mini flick on the Grip-Tite

http://www.grip-tite.com/

Kudos to you for helping the man out.

DT

If he is amenable to new tools and new methods at 95, more power to him and I think you are a great friend to help him with that.

If he is comfortable and prefers his own way of doing things based on his years of experience and wisdom, I hope he can keep working wood as long as he can. I wouldn't want one of my joys taken away from me. If it were driving the car where he is putting others in danger, it would be a different story, but at 95 he should make his own decisions about his own safety.

I hope I'm still cutting wood at 95.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Elderly Woodworking

I can understand his family being concerned but somethings keep you going or maybe its you haft to have something to keep you going. My stepfather is 85 and farms and we are concerned about him getting hurt but he bought a new hay bailer a year ago so I don`t think he is planning on quiting. A couple of years ago my brother and me was having coffee with him and there was a farm for sale and he said he would buy it but he hated to get it financed for 20 years, we almost fell out of our chairs laughing. He looked at us like we was crazy and I said they might laugh you out of the bank trying to get fiananced past 100. You can`t just sit down and do nothing or you won`t make it to 95. Barry Bruner

Randal,

I think it would be a good idea to introduce him to your new power ench bridge. That and the dead wood concept should make woodworking as safe as possible for him.

Burt

My grandpa is 93 and has stopped woodworking. I think mostly because he does not have the motivation and he says he is no longer able to make the precise cuts, etc... He built houses for a living and when he retired, started more woodworking and selling at craft shows.

Personally, I think nothing should be done to discourage anything. I know if I had told my grandpa about the use of safety devices, etc.... he would have ruled it out and told me how long he had been doing it his way. He is still working on his lifelong stamp collection, mostly selling at this point though. He still buys tools but now they are for presents. He is very interested in remodeling/woodworking projects that family is doing.

He lives by himself now and when family comes over, he generally has some projects in mind. Last time, it was a higher, elongated toilet and new screen for a sliding door. I told him he could live at my house but he is very independent. I think he is much happier living on his own until he can't. He is hopes in his words that he drops dead when he can no longer be independent.

Once I remodel my shop and get things in place, I want him to see it. Some of the tools I have are ones he has given me (radial arm saw, drill press, lathe, sanding center, bandsaw, etc...). I think I will get some grief for the amount of money invested but I know he will be very interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nardi View Post
    Well I'd vote for leaving him alone. If losing 2 of his fingers didn't stop him why should anyone even think of it.

I kind of feel the same way. Let him do exactly what he wants. The best thing the family can do is be in the shop with him, if not but to hold the wood and listen to the stories.

13. Being kind of elderly myself (87)

I can only agree to let the guy be himself as long as he can. Trying to make someone safe (and at the same time miserable) only benefits the one wanting to protect him. Living is living, not trying to prevent the things which happen while living. What is the point to being safe until you die if the life is no longer worth living? We older folks have a different set of values than most younger people because we lived closer to reality. We learned to do for ourselves and not look to others for answers. Being dependent is not in our make up. When it is time, we are ready to take a walk, at least I am.(G)
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henthorn Smithville, TX View Post
    Living is living, not trying to prevent the things which happen while living. What is the point to being safe until you die if the life is no longer worth living? We older folks have a different set of values than most younger people because we lived closer to reality. We learned to do for ourselves and not look to others for answers. Being dependent is not in our make up. When it is time, we are ready to take a walk, at least I am.(G)
    Thanks Don!

Good general rules for life regardless of your age or experience. I feel like we live so far from reality now.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

My father is getting older and that was one of the reasons I got a Sawstop. They are big $ though and there are so many other ways to get hurt still.

Any woodworking clubs around for him to go to? Might have like minded people, no supervision but at least others around and odds are they would have a Sawstop for insurance reasons.

Just a thought.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion