Thread: Veritas Twin Screw Vise

Veritas Twin Screw Vise

I am about to install a Veritas Twin Screw vise on the right end of my benchtop that is currently too long (8ft). I am also installing a 9" quick release vise on the left front (standard position for a right hander). Anyway, I cannot find any information on how much overhang past the leg set I need for the Veritas vise. Before I cut the benchtop to length,want to make sure I have enough space to the right of the legs.

regards,
    Charlie

Hi Charlie. You can take the mesurment of the acme screws and fuigar the amount of space you need. Take into the consideration the jaw thickness of the jaws. I can mesure mine in a bit and let you know how far mine are set in or the length of the screws showing from the edge of the table
    Reg
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

Charlie,

That info should be on veritas website...or call CS. My gues is you'll need 20+ inches.

Secondly, I would keep the bench as long as possible.... I'm not sure 8 ft is too long. I would not go less than 7 ft for sure. Can you leave it at 8 ft?

too long??

Unless you have serious shop space limitations, there is no such thing as a bench that is too long.

Charlie my face and rear jaw is 1 7/8 thick. The screws stick through the real jaw 12 1/2 inches.
    Reg
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

I had the exact same question and emailed LV's CS a few weeks ago with this question:

I'm currently looking into getting a workbench and want to mount a Veritas Twin-Screw vise on the end. One of the dimensions I need to figure out is the length required for the table overhang past the RH legs. I've looked through the online installation info several times and cant seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the length from the outer face of the outside jaw to the end of the screws. I realize that some of this will get taken up by the thickness of whatever I would use for the jaw face and bench end apron, but this would help me figure out what minimum overhang I would need.

Their answer back was this:

The overall screw lengths for the Veritas® Twin-Screw Vise are 19.05” and the threaded length is 14.72”.

I wont be able to tell til I get one if they exactly answered my question. Reg's reply makes me think not. Seems like a dimension that a lot of folks would need and that ought to show up on the online info. I've since come to realize that the screws (the wider version) straddle the end panels on a Noden bench so I can get away with about 6-1/2" or so depending on jaw thickness used.
    Use the fence Luke

Twin Screw length + Tip

The calculation should go something like this.

Overhang needed = 16.5" - thickness front jaw - thickness of rear jaw (apron). All measurements in inches!

So, if you go with a thickness of 2" for each jaw, that is 16.5" - 2" - 2" = 12.5 inches.

Also, as a tip when you are making your jaws. The vise will come with 2 steel pins (3/8" diameter) for keeping your workpieces off of the screw. Find yourself some more 3/8" steel rod, and put in a second pin for each screw. Put the second pin on the inside top of each screw. The instructions will show you that the stock pin goes at the top outside of each screw, and it should, but I also like a second pin at the top inside of each screw. The stock pin only protects your workpiece from the outside of the screws. The additional pin will protect your wood from hitting the screws if you are clamping in between the two screws, which I do all the time. Attached is a pic to show you what I did.

My other advice is to go as wide as you can with the screws. Clamping 16"+ panels is great, but wider is always better!

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andy Howard; 07-26-2007 at 7:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Their answer back was this:

The overall screw lengths for the Veritas® Twin-Screw Vise are 19.05” and the threaded length is 14.72”.

I wont be able to tell til I get one if they exactly answered my question. Reg's reply makes me think not. Seems like a dimension that a lot of folks would need and that ought to show up on the online info. I've since come to realize that the screws (the wider version) straddle the end panels on a Noden bench so I can get away with about 6-1/2" or so depending on jaw thickness used.
    Doug,
    That looks correct. The total screw is about 19 inches or so, but they are inlcluding the entire screw, all the way out to the castings the handles go through.
    The screw from the bottom of the flange that mounts on your front(outer) jaw to the end of the screw is ~16.5" long or so. There is about 1.75" of the screw that is unthreaded and is captured in the metal casting that will be mounted in your outer jaw. This is why you have to have atleast a 1.75" thick outer jaw. This is how they come up with the 14.72" threaded length.

Hope this helps!
    Andy