Thread: Looked at a General 350 table saw today

Looked at a General 350 table saw today

It was about 20 years old and was used in a cabinet shop. It was missing the motor cover, the Bess fence was pretty rough looking, it was missing one lock knob, the switch was missing the stop part of the button. It also sounded like it needed arbor bearings or something. It had a replacement 3hp Leeson motor. The thing would barely tilt or go up and down. It would have had to be completly taken apart and cleaned up. Well, I didn't come home with it and don't know if I messed up or not. He said he would take $625 for it. What do you all think?
    Building Inspector, CBO

Sounds like you made a good choice. You can get a brand new saw for not much more than you would invest in this to make it worthwhile.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

You made the right decision. That saw was used in a shop that did not care for their equipment. A saw that is only 20 years old should not be in that condition.
    No good deed goes unpunished. aka The Cork

Sounds like a nickel and dime project. A part here, a part there and many hours of your time. Not such a good deal in the long run.

Too many things that need to be fixed.

Used Canadian Generals go for $1200 and up in my neck of the woods. And trust me I have seen some real poor ones go at auction for well over $1000..... A new 3hp American made Leeson is $400+, so my opinion is that it was a steal, providing you are proficient in machine overhaul.
    If you'd rather spend your free time woodworking than machine rebuilding, then maybe made a good choice.
    A new 350 goes for about $3000 CDN taxes in....

Talking

I am new around here--but going through a restoration of a similar 10" King tablesaw that is 20 years old. Three phase, poor wiring, lots of rust, a couple of missing bolts (fence handle, a table bolt). It was $250 and included a nearly new FS Tool blade. So that was a good deal. I just need to find a motor, wire up a switch and do a little rust remediation. I am happy to be doing the work on my new saw, but I would rather be making sawdust. In the end I am hoping to get away by spending $700 for a saw that is maybe worth $1000 or so--I guess it is up to you if that is worthwhile or not. Like I said, I'd rather be using it than fixing it up.

Maybe you could talk them down. Canadian General is pretty nice iron! I wonder if it just needs trunnions cleaned and greased to get it moving smoothly again. Don't know about the cost of new arbor bearings though. I'm sure someone would.

Smile Looked at a General 350

I am reluctant to dive into this conversation, because you are facing some unknowns and you are probably not an experienced machnery technician.

Maybe it will be easy. I'm not sure I would do it. I own a new General 350 cabinet saw. One of the factors that helped my purchase decision is resale price. A used 350 - even one 10 years old - will pull in about 70-80% of the new retail price. I was told this and then confirmed it by looking some of those industrial equipment dealers on the Internet.

The new price currently is $2200. But some of those components can cost an arm and a leg. A new Baldor motor (5hp) is over $500. And the magnetic power switch is (I think) over $200. The fence would be $400.

I just 'dunno' if I'd make that leap.

Gary Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Curtis View Post
    I am reluctant to dive into this conversation, because you are facing some unknowns and you are probably not an experienced machnery technician.

Gary Curtis
    I have done a couple of restorations in the past. Including a 30" Tannewitz bandsaw. The things that this saw would need done would be easy for me. Albeit time consuming, but I do have the technology to get it done. Here's the way I see it:

New fence and router table extension: Probably a Vega
    Strip saw and clean trunnion
    Check and replace needed bearing and bushings
    New belts
    Make or buy new motor housing
    Completely strip cabinet and repaint
    Add dust port to cabinet
    Clean/polish cast iron top
    Get new style General logo and one of those cool Maple Leaf logos
    Reassemble and tune

How's the whole parts system @ General work? What about prices?
    Last edited by Scot wolf; 07-27-2007 at 7:04 AM. Reason: sp
    Building Inspector, CBO

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Williams View Post
    Maybe you could talk them down. Canadian General is pretty nice iron! I wonder if it just needs trunnions cleaned and greased to get it moving smoothly again. Don't know about the cost of new arbor bearings though. I'm sure someone would.
    He wanted $675 for it. Told him the faults as I saw them , I.E. no motor cover, switch problem. He came down $50 bucks. I don't know if he will go lower. He just listed the saw. I'm pretty sure the trunnions just need a good cleaning/lube.
    Building Inspector, CBO

General 350

You can call General at 819 472-1161. After my saw was delivered I ordered a couple of extra parts just to have them on hand. Those arrived by FedEx in a matter of days.

Here's a part number for an arbor bearing - P-279. And for a Cabinet Door - 362-10. Call and get a few prices. Good luck

Gary Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Scot wolf View Post
    He wanted $675 for it. Told him the faults as I saw them , I.E. no motor cover, switch problem. He came down $50 bucks. I don't know if he will go lower. He just listed the saw. I'm pretty sure the trunnions just need a good cleaning/lube.

Arbor bearings should be easy, and a cleanup should handle the trunnion issues. If just the stop button is missing and the switch works, you can probably buy just a replacment for the button. Get the lock knob from General. I think you could easily get it running for $100 in additional parts, not counting a new fence or motor cover. And taking it apart/putting it back together will get you familiar with all the internals so that you'll be able to take better care of it. Or so I've found on my restored PM 65...

Kirk