Thread: Planer Dilemma

Question Planer Dilemma

I am wanting to get a benchtop planer. I have looked at the DeWalt DW735, Steel City and Jet's 3 bladed model. I realize that the Jet is more money but is a moulder as well. I have never been a Dewalt fan. I think before Black and Decker bought 'em they were great but I would rather look at them last. BUT! They seem to have the best bang for buck planer out there. The Steel City seems to be built quite a bit lighter and rumor has it they may be going out of business. So I guess it's the DW or Jet
    Anyone that owns either can you share your experience likes or dislikes.
    I can get the DW at a really good package price from a local dealer right now and can also get a good deal on the Jet. I really want a 3 cutter so if you know of another one (under 800.00 US Please) let me know.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

Wow...I haven't heard that rumor yet about Steel City. I hope they don't.

Gary k.

I am not a Dewalt fan either, but I own the 735 and it is great.
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

1. Black and Decker has owned dewalt for at least 30 years now ...

2. The 735 is very well regarded. I personally have the 734 and absolutely love it.

I don't know of any specific dewalt problems due to black & decker's owning them, though.

Oh, and where'd you hear that about Steel City.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Blog Entries
    What Jason said, right down to owning the DW734 'cause I wouldn't pony up the dough for the 735 (wish I would have but the 734 is sweet).

And yeah . . . . where did this SCTW rumor start?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baca View Post
    The Steel City seems to be built quite a bit lighter and rumor has it they may be going out of business.
    I'm sure that Scott, Tom, Jim, Mark, and all the guys from Steel City who just spent MEGA-bucks at AWFS in Las Vegas for a booth, literature, give-aways, transportation, hotels, meals, introducing three new granite-topped machines, and all the rest wold be VERY interested to know just where you heard that rumor, Ted.

That information could not be further from the truth if it was on Neptune.

For the record, STEEL CITY IS NOT GOING OUT OF BUSINESS!! They are a growing, vibrant company with some great and innovative design ideas, their OWN manufacturing plant and quarry in China, and, as far as I'm concerned, the best machines on the market. They are selling machines as fast as they can manufacture and ship them.

I certainly hope that you are not the one initiating that rumor.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Not trying to hijack the thread but where did you hear that about Steel City?

Can"t comment on Jet or Dewalt personally (I have an old Delta) but dont rule out Rigid's planner. I know a few that have them and they all have positive comments as well as the Dewalts.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

I have the ridgid 2 blade planer and I really like it alot. The finish is excellent and the snipe is less than 0.001 when planed on both sides. I would like to upgrade to a carbide inserted shelix style planer someday, but so many tools...
    I have found out that Ridgid offers a three blade cutter head now.
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R4330-Th...r/EN/index.htm

The lifetime warranty is a nice comfort feature.

I had a Dewalt 735 for a couple years before buying a 20" spiral head planer, then I sold it. The DW is an excellent planer, there are a lot of complaints concerning blade life but I didn't have any issues.

I would definitely get another one if I needed a lunchbox unit.

Hi,
    I have a 735. I have not had it long. However, so far, everything is peaches and cream. The wood is so smooth it makes a baby's but look rough.
    Enjoy,
    Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    So. Calif. 5 miles to ocean

Thank you all for you comments on the DeWalt. I am thinking that I may have one in my shop soon. I guess I need to stop with the Brand Loyalty and get past my stubborn ways and buy what works best.

As far as the Rumor about Steel City, I heard it from two individuals that attended the AFWS in Vegas. These two are not aquainted with each other and I found it odd that they both voluntered this rumor unsolicited.
    I won't devulge who they are as I don't want to them to be victims of any reprocussions from this rumor. They were just repeating what they heard, as we all do from time to time, human nature I guess.
    I want to add that I do not wish to see Steel City fail. I like what I have seen in most of their tools but the planer was of a lesser quality in comparison to the DW735 in my opinion. I think they make good tools and considered one of their tablesaws before I decided on another brand.
    I also like that there is one more brand to look at when buying tools.
    I sincerely hope that if this just rumor that it starts and ends here. I guess that the acid test is watching the local dealers. Are they buying more or discounting heavily. Nancy I don't know your affiliation with Steel City, but if that rumor was floating at the show, then they have probably heard it as well. I have found in my years of being business, that when these rumors start the fall into one of two catogories. One is that it is true. Second and most common is that your competition is feeling the bite you are taking out of their business. And they wish it is true so it won't be them.

Thanks for the input on the planer. I hadn't looked at Ridgid so I will be stopping at Home Depot soon to have a peek. But the DW seems to have all the best features.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

12. I have the DW 735, and love it. Its very well made. I found it at Amazon in their Reconditioned Tools section, so it was less than the DW 734 I was looking at (and it qualified for free shipping, although that took 10 days!)