Thread: Large Panel glue up....Help me out....

Large Panel glue up....Help me out....

I seem to always get asked to build kitchen tables for some strange reason. They aren't my favorite thing to do but it does bring work to do and some extra income from time to time.

My challenges are always trying to do large panel glue ups. Many of the tables that I've made are 40" to 44" wide and 6' to 8' long. I really want a way to glue up an entire top no matter if my boards run the "length" of the tabletop of if my boards run "across" the width of the tabletop to make up the overall length.

Now grant it, there's not a surface in my entire shop that is dead flat for 4' by 8' surface area. Like many of you, I have to make do with what I have.

Isn't there a good way to glue up panels with some type of metal channels and screws that could be bolted to the wall, glue and put the boards in the "press", fold up the outter arms, lock them in position and start the hand-screws to press it all together.????

Help me out here....I want a solution that I can use for small tables all the way up to a large kitchen table.....most folks that I've made tables for like them 42" wide by about 6' to 8' long....that's a LOT to glue up all the time if you ask me.

So....whaddya say???!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi Dennis, when i worked in a shop we had an air cylinder clamp frame that did exactly what you're talking about.

It was a metal frame with air cylinders every 8 or 10 inches. The cyclinders only had a few inch stroke, so they were mounted on rails with pins.

You build youself something with Unistrut I assume that would use handscrews...........regards, Rod.

Hey Rod,

Got any pics of the setup or something like it? I'm interested in seeing what that would look like.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    Not done with channel but you get the idea: http://www.ingallwood.ca/acs/fct_pictures.html

Here's some more ideas: http://www.jltclamps.com/
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-08-2008 at 4:20 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

http://www.advmachinery.com/default.asp?pg=planoa

these clamps and good stock preparation.

Blog Entries
    Kudos to Joe. That's the ones I couldn't recall the name of.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I haven't tried it yet, but at a demo I saw at the Woodworking show, it was reccomended to not even try to glue up the panel all at once. The instructor, I have forgotten his name, only glues up three pieces at a time. He felt that it is better because you can get the pieces aligned without too much trouble before the glue starts to set.

Google Taylor clamp carrier.
    They make really big ones that rotate and smaller models that mount to the wall. It will give you another idea anyway.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Bowclamps...or find yourself a new or used panel clamping system that provides four-way clamping to keep things flat and tight all around. I have occasionally thought about the Plano system, but I really don't have a usable wall to put it on. I'd have to construct a free-standing rack for it...and then there would be storage problems for me. I may reconsider if I ever get my lumber rack moved upstairs...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's low-tech and not that fast, but I've had great results with pocket screws. Dowels or biscuits aid alignment and eliminate the needs for faceclamps.

After struggling with all types of clamps I broke down and purchased the plano clamp systems...little pricey but worth the investment.

Jim

Rockler offers a LowTech idea along the line of the Plano clamping system. http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...rings_id=10711
    If you had rather conjur up than spend a huge amount of cash, the hardwood (or aluminum) cauls could be made in short order much more cheaply.

Better yet, rather than spending $26.99 each, the metal hardware could be easily put together much cheaper, if you have basic metalworking skills.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Along these same lines... has anyone tried the Veritas Panel Clamps? I've almost pulled the trigger on these a couple of times, but haven't. Definitely looks like this would keep everything flat (vs bowed), but my main concern has always been that I wasn't sure there'd be enough force to keep all the boards flush with each other.

The leading contender for me has been the BowClamps as Jim mentioned, but the downside of this approach is that you need to purchase multiple sizes to cover various panel widths... at 20-40 a pair its kind of outer edge of what I'm willing to pay these days... (yeah, the veritas clamps are $40 each also, but you can make any custom width you want to fit the job at hand)