Thread: Lumber Cart Complete

Lumber Cart Complete

I got the inspiration for this project from posts on this newsgroup and used some images as basic design inspiration. I was tired of the dis-organized pile of ply and lumber that was impossible to sort through (you always need what’s on the bottom) so I made this over the last few weekends.

First step was the torsion box base – made with ¾” ply and 2x2’s (with 2x8’ blocks at the wheel attachment points). The wheels are rated at 750# each and were on sale for <$20/wheel so it should be able to roll ok even when fully loaded. I decided to use plywood vs melamine or MDF to save on weight of the cart itself. I got the ply at the borg – about $22/sheet (labeled as ‘cabinet grade’) and while it looked great on the rack most sheets started curling within 2 days even laying flat in a stack on the bed of my truck! Lucky this design was pretty tolerant of misbehaved ply – all the larger pieces were braced or re-enforced the rest was small enough that it didn’t matter. No regrets as I saved about 180$ over shop grade ply at my local lumberyard.

I arbitrarily chose a 10 degree lean angle for the sides after a few days goofing around leaning 4’ scraps against the walls. A shallower angle would have left more interior room for board/scrap storage but also would have meant sheets more likely to tip off as the cart was moved. I spent way too much time trying to remember 7th grade trig to figure out size of the interior shelves to calculate how many sheets I’d need before I put it all into a spreadsheet to make it easy to recalculate when the angle changed (pm me and I’ll email you a copy).

This project was the first real use of my new festool domino (torsion box frame) and TS75. I was a bit too casual on one or two of the loose tenon hole cuts as it was a rough frame not visible and my experience with biscuits was that you could muscle them some to make minor corrections – not so with even the smallest of domino tenons! The TS75 was not as fast as a table saw, but even with my Robland slider it takes 2 or 3 guys who know what they are doing to safely cut full sheets and things like a 10 degree angle right on the long edge of a full sheet is a real pain. I did all the cutting for this entire project solo – slide sheet from truck to work top and cut – nice tradeoff of a bit slower process vs being able to do stuff without having to start calling your buds for help.

The other mistake I made was in cutting the interior shelves to fit – each was cut after the shelf below was installed and I was worried about gaps and structural integrity so each one was maybe a 1/16 or so over. That made sliding them in a bit of a struggle (pull tops of sides apart while assistant shoves them in) and the result was a VERY strong box BUT the sides have a bit of a bow. If I was doing this over I’d be more concerned with a flat side but as this is intended for temporary storage and the bow is minor I don’t think it that big a deal.

Final step was to install the side boxes for small scraps with pocket screws, the side lips to keep the bottoms of panels from slipping off and shoot 2 coats of water poly to make it easier to slide stuff around. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job! Simple but functional. Wish I had room for something like this. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I like it. Looks very useful, and way more organized than my pile of lumber...

Very useful looking piece. Now you won't have any excuses for not having a neat shop. Nice job!
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Blog Entries
    That is a beauty.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler