Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweatin' the BIG stuff (pics)

Sweatin' the BIG stuff (pics)

Greetings all

It was a sultry, 90 deg day today - perfect weather for some seriously heavy duty lifting! So, I called for reinforcements, my good friend Dominic Greco. But to begin at the beginning...

Several weeks ago while visiting my in-laws, my father-in-law took me out to the back yard and showed me a large stump of cherry in the next door neighbor's yard. "Do you think you could find a use for that?", he asked. Oh could I! I told him I was not sure how soon I could get it, but I would get it as soon as possible. Yesterday SWMBO informed me that we were going to their house, and I would be taking my chainsaw. So I called Dom and asked him if he wanted in on the action. He was glad to oblige, even though I did not tell him exactly what we were getting into.

When he arrived, he started to giggle, and told me that I should be glad I was not "a chick", because if I was, he would kiss me right there on the spot. But we were both excited about the prospect of what might be inside this log.

Here we are ready to cut. The cutting actually went pretty smooth, although I raised a few eyebrows with the way it dropped close to the truck. It was so hot even the million or so ants that spilled out of the log were sweating! I had ants running around on the chainsaw, running around on me, and spreading out all over the yard. We used chemical warfare on them to try and control the mess.

We sawed the logs up into several sections to get it onto the truck lift and into my truck. We sliced off one of the lumps to see if it was indeed burl and not just lumpy wood. This is what we found.

Even with the rough edge of the chainsaw cut, it was easy to see the rays and ripple of burled, or at least very curly wood. At a rough estimate, I would say this log weighed in at something like 1000-1200 lbs, and it is fairly stuffed with these lumps. I had trouble finding places to cut to avoid them all. But overall it went quickly, even with the ants, and I don't know about Dom, but I will be dreaming of cherry burls tonight. Oh yeah, the smell was wonderful too.

Bill

Holy cow Bill. There is a whole lot of turning wood there. Boy I can't wait to see what comes out that log. Congrats Bill.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I really really hate you

you have no idea how jeallous i am
    Sascha

The Burl Fairy strikes again!

Although I have a hard time picturing Bill wearing a tu-tu, sporting a pair of over-sized butterfly wings, and waving a magic wand. (but I hear that somewhere there was a picture circulating of Bill in a Ballet costume)

I swear Bill has a knack for finding these spectacular burls. It's downright scary once you think about it.

Folks, no kidding. Seeing this enormous burl "in the wild" was freakin' awesome! And what's even better is that Bill called me to help him out with this. It was hot as hell, the wood was infested with monster carpenter ant, but it was worth EVERY second. I can't thank Bill enough.

And a special thank you goes out to the guy who invented those lift gate mechanisms! I couldn't imagine trying to lift those chunks into the truck unassisted.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.

GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT!!!

(oh man that felt good!)
    Dominic Greco

That should feed the spinny beast for a little while...nice score! Looking forward to seeing what comes out of that hunk of cherry!

Bill, Dom,

Can you guys find Gold???

You guys look dangerous!!!! But it looks like you found Cherry Gold too, nice work guys!
    Take care,
    Jim

That was very nice of the both of you to remove that horrible looking stump from that man's yard, If you need help in disposing of that ugly ant ,burl infested wood just let us know!!!!!! Great score.. .George

Bill our woodturning club did a tour of George Nakashima's woodworking complex today outside of New Hope PA and looking at that cross section of lumber really reminds my of the works of art we saw today. I am sure you will do it justice . Great tour thanks for the visual reminder... George

Nope, no way. Thats photoshopped. Just like that pic of the giant snake a few years back.

Now I might believe you if you shipped me a chunk of that "large burl". At your cost of course...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Greco View Post
    Although I have a hard time picturing Bill wearing a tu-tu, sporting a pair of over-sized butterfly wings, and waving a magic wand.
    GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT!!!

(oh man that felt good!)
    I don't have any problem picturing it at all. I just know that there is a tu tu, wings & wand out there somewhere that will fit Bill just fine. But will they fit in with his horns????

Oh by the way Bill great galloping gadzooks man your a regular wood magnet.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 07-28-2007 at 9:58 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Rut Roh!!! I know what you guys are going to be doing!! Wow...nice stuff!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This oneupsmanship has got to stop Bill and Dom. Well at least Martin and I had a whole tree to deal with. (see Pecan Grove thread for clarification)

Seriously, we were looking for the same thing but we didn't find it. I think maybe being in the wrong state was a factor. I'll be looking forward to the creations that come from that monster. BTW how big is the bar on that saw Bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Greco View Post
    Although I have a hard time picturing Bill wearing a tu-tu, ......
    Well. It's not exactly a tu tu. But this is the next best thing.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 07-29-2007 at 8:36 PM.
    Only the Blue Roads

Thumbs up

Holy cow Mr.Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is very very nice wood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have wood, will turn!!

Bill,

Maybe you will save some of that until I can come up and take your class???????????????

Somehow I hear you laughing already and I'm not even finished posting..........

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"