Thread: New Bosch jigsaw overheating??

New Bosch jigsaw overheating??

Just got a new Bosch 1591EVSK "barrel grip" jigsaw and have a question.

Within only a few seconds of use, the saw gets VERY hot. Almost to the point where I can't touch it for a few minutes. No burning smell. Is this normal?

Also, I thought this saw had "soft start," but that doesn't seem to be the case. I wonder if my saw might be defective??

Jason
    Last edited by Jason White; 07-29-2007 at 5:50 PM.

The Bosch jig saws do get pretty hot it seems from reports in the past. I never noticed a problem with the work I have done with mine but if you do a search here you will find more info likely.

Corey

I noticed the same with my 1590 when making several scroll cuts in 2x lumber this weekend.

I also noticed that the "soft start" and "orbital switch" features are not working. I assume this is an electronics malfunction of some sort. Possibly related to the "too hot to handle" issue.

Anybody else have these issues with their 1590 or 1591 Bosch jigsaw?

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I noticed the same with my 1590 when making several scroll cuts in 2x lumber this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Just got a new Bosch 1591EVSK "barrel grip" jigsaw and have a question.

Within only a few seconds of use, the saw gets VERY hot. Almost to the point where I can't touch it for a few minutes. No burning smell. Is this normal?

Also, I thought this saw had "soft start," but that doesn't seem to be the case. I wonder if my saw might be defective??

Jason
    I would say the saw is defective. No tool should become "too hot to handle". Otherwise how could you ever use it?

Jason,

I would presume there to something wrong with the unit. I don't know if what mechanical differences there are... but I have the 1584AVS unit. All functions work.. and no overheating issues.

Blog Entries
    The fact that it is heating up is enough to send it in for repair or exchange depending on your situation. My Repair place is close and they are a designated "Rapid Repair" location for Bosch. These sites will have your tool back in your hands in 5 days or no charge no matter what they did to it. This has not come into play as i am still under warranty but, it's good to know for the future. You can find locations here:

http://www.boschtools.com/product-services/

unless the unit is new enough to just take back for an exchange.

P.s. We PM'd about this but thought I would share here. I thought my orbital function was not working because I could not see it. Bosch instructed me to make a cut in some ply with it off and then make subsequent cuts with the orbit increased each time. There was a definite difference in speed and quality even though I couldn't see the orbit by eye.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    I also noticed that the "soft start" and "orbital switch" features are not working. I assume this is an electronics malfunction of some sort.
    The orbital action is a purely mechanical function, so it's not related to anything electronic. Like Glenn said, you can't really see the orbital action, but you can feel the difference in cutting speed.