Thread: The Pin Nailer

Question The Pin Nailer

Lately I have heard a lot about the pin nailer, especially the Grex Pin Nailer. Seems to me the only advantage of using a pin nailer is not having to deal with the hole left by a brad nail. Would like to know your opinion and how you use a pin nailer.
    Don

Don,

I have a Grex and I find that another advantage is that it doesn't split the wood as easily as my regular trim nailer.

I use mine for building jigs and those finished moldings that are too hard to clamp and wait for glue to dry (or when I just get lazy).

Don,

I dont use them much in the shop, But I use them for installing trim to cabinets all the time. Obviously doesn't work for drywall... but if the material you are nailing to is solid.. it works for all trim when glue is used, crowns included.

Craig do you have to use glue to hold the trim on with a pin nailer? I have to replace my finish nailer and it sure would save time if I didnt have to fill those brad holes. I am just not sure how the CO I install for would fell about me using glue on the trim they get funny about the strangest things

I have had a pin nailer for about a year and I use it a lot for trim work, and it is especially useful when you need to hold a small piece of trim in place before clamping or while gluing. The question regarding whether it will hold much without glue is yes, it is not bad in hardwoods, not as good with soft wood or mdf. I use it instead of the brad nailer all the time now because with final finishes you just plain cannot see the hole unless you really really study the area.

pin nailer 'marks' and glue?

Jason,
    For finish cabinetry trim... I typically use glue for all corners. Maybe just because it was the way I was taught it should be done (helps 2 mos down the road when the lumber acclimates as well). The beauty of the pin nailer.. is you can put 3 pins per side on an outside corner and you will never see it. Point being you can put enough pins in with no harm to the wood that you could get away without glue....

Hope this does not hijack the thread.. but here are some pics that may show the minimal remains of pin nailing.

I just snapped some quick pics of my own library.. we finished it a couple weeks ago now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I found the pin nailer to be effective with glue. I would not use for jigs since nail holes from a brad aren't a problem. If I had to pick one nailer, I'd go with a brad nailer though.

I use mine all the time for smaller trim pieces on and off furniture. I don't see it as a replacement for other guns, but it does what i need it to do. I personally prefer the grab of a staple for crown, yes it leaves bigger hole, but will not pull out as easy. If you have any bow to the wall or crown, the pin does not have enough bite to pull in while the glue dries.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Hi Don

Before you buy the Grex you may want to have a look at the
    Nikle NS2340 23 gauge headless pinner.
    I have one, and have been very pleased with it.
    The Nikle will also fire the 23 gauge headed brads as well, if you need a bit more holding power (but they do leave a larger hole), and you do not need to make any mods to the gun to fire them.

http://www.floydtool.com

http://www.nikletools.com

I would also say that if you are working a lot with hard woods, to stay away from the cheap $30-$60 pinners, as they lack the driving power for that task. (my boss got us a cheapy to use in the shop, and it could not drive a 1/2" pin into cherry, without leaving the heads sticking out).

Hope this was helfull...Graham...

I use my pinner for small moldings as well as for jigging when I want a temporary fastener.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Grex I use it all the time whe I glue the joint and pin it to hold it, or clamp for 30min and put a pin in. Also good for molding some it will hold some just put a little glue on and pin to hold it in place. I love it get one!
    -=Jason=-