Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anant hand planes

Hi Brian -

Since you're in Calgary - why not contact the store for some help? If you call the Store manager (Kathy Somerville), she can set up having someone help with the sharpening, and technique...

Cheers -

Rob Lee

Hey Marc,

Ever frugal Scottsman (albeit of the Southern variety), my newfound obsession with woodworking and old handtools has been, uh, a conflict since I took it up to save money.

Speaking of Anant and value, awhile back, before I knew anything about them (not that I do now), I bought an old Stanley No 7 jointer on Ebay only to find the iron about gone. Being the chepo I am, I looked around for replacement irons and found the Anants at WoodWorker's Supply for $8.99 and ordered one along with a sharpening jig. The package came today and after looking over the jig I picked up the Anant factory box and thought "Oh my gosh, what did they send, that's way too heavy for a plane iron." Well inside was not one, but four new 2 3/8" plane irons.

I keep wondering if this was a mistake by WW supply, but the Anant factory box distinctly says "Plan Irons". They fit the No 7 perfectly. Now just need to get the 800 - 2000 grit sandpaper to sharpen one of these pups. Anybody know a cheap source?

Well, once again the frugality paradox kicks in, since I've got 4 irons instead of 1, I gotta use em up before I die, so I'd better go get a bunch of wood to start jointing.....it never ends!

Cheap sandpaper

Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael
    Hey Marc,
    I keep wondering if this was a mistake by WW supply, but the Anant factory box distinctly says "Plan Irons". They fit the No 7 perfectly. Now just need to get the 800 - 2000 grit sandpaper to sharpen one of these pups. Anybody know a cheap source?
    Here's a place I found on the web with cheap prices.

Online Industrial Supply

I haven't ordered anything from them yet but for about $70 you can enough sandpaper for a couple years supply.

Wendell

So many responses, so little time.

Brian:

Now HOW is that for service? You off-handedly remark on your difficulties with a Lee Valley product and you get an unsolicited offer of assistance not from just any company representative, but the president of the company himself.

My hat is off to you, Rob Lee. You must love your job because you are really, really good at it. I’m in customer relations, so I’m a big fan of pointing out exemplary customer service when I see it. When people ask: "what am I REALLY getting for my $100 in a Lee Valley block plane that I'm not getting in cheaper version?" Your company's many examples of personal service come to mind. THIS is what one gets, and all it represents.

Jeff:

I’ve noticed that backlash is a problem with the Bailey adjusting mechanism in general. Is it worse in an Anant plane than a comparable Stanley/Record/Sargent/M-F model?

James:

I love it that your Scottish/Frugal/Neander makeup somehow compels you to feel you must actually use up those 4 joiner plane irons in your life time. I respectfully suggest that if you make any significant progress towards that goal, you contact the organizers of the closest Highland games festival and sign up for one of the strength and endurance events.

FYI: try your local auto parts center (NAPA, etc) for ultra fine grit abrasive papers.
    Marc

Marc,

Yes, it's noticeably worse than a Bailey, but not too terribly much. I think it may be a source of great frustration to a newbie. (It is for me, but I've never been accused of having an excess of patience.) Guess this experience has contributed to my preference for wood bodied planes.

I've never used a L-N, LV, or a Bedrock, so I'm not sure if this is a problem with them.

Jeff

6. Quote Originally Posted by Wendell Wilkerson
    Here's a place I found on the web with cheap prices.

Online Industrial Supply

I haven't ordered anything from them yet but for about $70 you can enough sandpaper for a couple years supply.

Wendell
    I have ordered from them and was very pleased. I got exactly what I ordered, it was shipped quickly, the quality seems good. I'll order from them again.

Rob,

Thank you for the suggestion. My hat is off to you for your input. The suggestion to contact the store is, I suppose, a simple act of customer service from your persepective, but truly goes above and beyond.

Everyone that I have dealt with in the Calgary location has been knowledgable and more than willing to take the time with each and every customer to ensure they are well looked after. I have looked into attending one of the sharpening seminars offered through the store, but my schedule is abit too tight at the moment.

It is not surpising to see that you have your fingers on the pulse of these posting boards. Lee Valley/Veritas has shown its innovation and excellent design in many of the tools offered. I imagine that many ideas are spawned after seeing the gripes/problems with other tools in posts and messages on sites such as this.

It is obvious to anyone the level of passion most Saw Mill Creek members have for the wonderful craft of woodworking.

Marc,

Again, thanks for your input.

My sharpening setup is 800 & 4000 grit waterstones, followed by 0.5 micron mylar film from Lee Valley. I know that my technique does not do me any favours yet. That setup should work (I think). I use the mylar on a piece of plate glass, but have not tried the adhesive backed type yet. I think I am getting a small bow wave in the mylar that may be ruining the edge as I hone.

I watched a sharpening demonstration last October at the Calgary woodworking show that was put on by the Lie Neilson rep, and have been trying the freehand technique he was using. He raised the plane iron off the primary bevel a few degrees freehand, and pulled the iron back across the stone. After lapping the back abit to remove the burr, he was getting beautiful shavings. I did not see him do this on endgrain though. Maybe that technique is not precise enough the that.

I do also have a sharpening guide, but find it works well only for intitial sharpening with the 800.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not frustrated with my lack of success when sharpening. I am just wanting to utilize what I know are high quality tool to the best of my ability. I know that my technique will improve, and am eager to hear any suggestions you or anyone else might have. Mostly, I think I have not spent enough time practicing.

However, because it is about -35 celsius here right now, I may have more time the shop as I certainly will not be going out much!!

Brian

[I keep wondering if this was a mistake by WW supply, but the Anant factory box distinctly says "Plan Irons". They fit the No 7 perfectly. Now just need to get the 800 - 2000 grit sandpaper to sharpen one of these pups. Anybody know a cheap source?

As a source for your various grades of sand paper you might consider the Red Hill Corporation north of Gettysburg, PA. They can be reached at http:/www.supergrit.com

I'm not connected to the company in any other way than as a satisfied customer. They have more forms of sand paper than I knew existed and the prices are excellent.
    Possumpoint