Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

Unhappy What am I doing wrong?

I've got one of them drill chucks to put in the tail stock. I get it in, get the wood in a chuck.... turn it on and work the chuck slowly into the wood (drilling pen blanks) And all of a sudden the drill chuck comes out of the tail stock and goes flying. Nothing damaged. Is there a certain way it's supposed to go in? I was using my TurnCrafterPro lathe. I hope SOMEONE can straighten me out on this, I've got ten pens ordered and I'm sitting here dead in the water (and feeling like I'm sinking mighty fast!).

Is your tailstock locked down ?
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

No, is it supposed to be? I thought it was supposed to be loose so you could slide into the wood you're drilling

Bonnie....You lock your tailstock down and turn the drill into the wood using the handle for the quill.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Oops! Thank you so much Ken. I KNEW I was screwing up. Will try it again tomorrow. Thank you so much for helping an idiot out

We all have to learn....Last year at this time I was paddling the same boat.

BTW.....does your drill chuck have a threaded hole in the end with the morse taper? If so...it's probably thread to 1/4x20 IIRC. Get your self either a long properly threaded bolt, washer and wingnut or some allthread with the proper thread, washer and wingnut. Should you ever decide to use it in your headstock it'll prevent it from coming out. I use a long 1/4"x20 bolt, washer and wingnut to secure mine when I'm using my mandrel and turning bottlestoppers. If you don't you can chase that rascal around the shop.....PDAMHIKT

You can't use the bolt when using the drill chuck in the tailstock....or at least to my knowledge you can't.....
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-02-2007 at 10:51 PM.
    Ken

I'm fairly new at this turning stuff and I don't know all the terminology (what's a quill?) but if I crank the sliding thing on my tail stock too far back (away from the headstock) it pushes my drill chuck out. I assume this is by design as an aid to getting it out after using it. If you have this cranked back too far I can see how the chuck would spin and maybe fall out. Can't assume yours is the same but I'll bet they are all similar.
    Chuck Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    We all have to learn....Last year at this time I was paddling the same boat.
    Ken the only problem you had is you didn't have any paddles to paddle.

Bonnie you got the scoop. Let us know how it works out for you. I just had to harass Ken.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Ken the only problem you had is you didn't have any paddles to paddle.

Bonnie you got the scoop. Let us know how it works out for you. I just had to harass Ken.
    No Bernie....I didn't have paddles but ....I had pictures and gorillas have long arms and big hands....
    Ken

Not sure if mine has the hole you mention. I'll look at it good in the morning. Today I should of avoided the shop This morning I had a jaw fly off my jumbo chuck. Bad chuck I'm guessing since PSI has kindly agreed to send me a new chuck (or they cater to fools )

If it DOES have the hole, could you post a picture or two so I'll (maybe) understand the bolt information?

Bonnie....Tomorrow morning I'll take some photos and post them. I've got to go grocery shopping as I'm baching it and just got back from 10 days of being away..........If you won't laught the diving board setup I use for a bench for my mini......
    Ken

this is one of those times where "no picture? it didn't happen" works in your favor Bonnie. good luck. (don't forget to drill slow, go too fast and the wood over heats and splits, yeah, voice of experience, but then, "no picture? it didn't happen")

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
    I'm fairly new at this turning stuff and I don't know all the terminology (what's a quill?) but if I crank the sliding thing on my tail stock too far back (away from the headstock) it pushes my drill chuck out. I assume this is by design as an aid to getting it out after using it. If you have this cranked back too far I can see how the chuck would spin and maybe fall out. Can't assume yours is the same but I'll bet they are all similar.
    Looks like you have it figured out. The quill is the part that slides in and out on the tailstock. You are right about if you crank the quill in all the way (away from the headstock), whatever is in the morse taper gets ejected. That's by design. Like you guessed, it's for removing what's in there.

My drill chuck doesn't have a hole to attach a drawbar, just the standard MT shank. I enhance its purchase in the tailstock socket by "wringing:" give it a slight twist as it touches the bottom of the socket. This is enough to prevent withdrawing itself when backing the drill out of the hole, which you should do often anyway, to clean out the shavings and avoid cooking the wood.

Joe

I'm thinking my chuck does have a hole. On the end (thinking off hand) it has a (gonna get real technical here, so keep up with me ) it has a black thing sticking out with a hole in that. I'm guessing THAT probably screws out.....? As I said when I bought the chuck, they REALLY need to include instructions with them. Boneheads like me can be an accident just waiting to happen