Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

I have a chance to buy a Delta model 36-650 10" professional table saw with a mobile base for $250. The saw is brand new in the box. I currently have an older Delta Contractors saw as my my field saw and it works great. I don't really need the new saw but I thought it might be a move up or the opportunity to replace a 20 yr. old saw with a new one. Is the new one as good or better than the old one? How about loading it into a pickup? I think the front rail may be aluminum so it may not be as strong for lifting as the old jet lock rails are. Any other pros or cons? I have to move fast on this or it may be gone. Thanks for any advice. Jim
    I am not what I want to be.
    I am not what I hope to be.
    But by the grace of God, I am not what I was.

Don't let the "professional" title fool you. It has stamped steel wings and an Al fence. I'm am partial to a steel fence myself and cast iron wings. If the saw you have is working for you I would keep it and save your money for something. Without pictures of your saw I can't compare but I don't think you will gain anything with this saw but the new saw smell and shine.

If your old one works great, what does the new one give you that the old one doesn't?

It doesn't sound like an upgrade and paying $250 for even a lateral move doesn't make sense to me.

The Unifence is aluminum and is a very good fence Cary. Not that this saw comes with one. I don't think it's a bad deal at all. He'd be geting a fresh saw and motor. And he could switch parts if he wanted. Then sell the old one if he wishes. If they are both built the same as far as the cast table, trunion and motor I see no reason not too if his old saw is geting worn out.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 08-03-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Just remember that new (value engineered) is not always a step up!

Kermit
    Admittedly a bit biased

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Don't let the "professional" title fool you.
    What he said~!!

A professional is a person who has given themselves over to some higher cause. That's it. The word
    "professional" however doesn't mean they are any good at whatever it is they do.

Now a trades-man or an engineer well, they not only have to be good at what they do but, when they pick up the tools of their particular trades or avocations they bring order to an otherwise chaotic universe. Professionals can't make that claim in the form of a general proposition.

So you let some professional buy that saw and stick to those saws that do what they do well.

Very True Cliff, most proffessionals I know in the houseing trades do sloppy work.

Chuck, you see two big guys from the Carpenters union banging on your door, don't answer it whatever ya do...

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    A professional is a person who has given themselves over to some higher cause. That's it. The word
    "professional" however doesn't mean they are any good at whatever it is they do. ...
    Professional: Gets paid to do it.
    Amateur: Does it 'cause he loves doing it.

Neither term implies anything about the skill or proficiency of the person doing it.

Some professions do require passing some sort of test/examination/certification process before you can "practice" the profession - medical, legal, engineering, etc. - and you never hear of any incompetent practitioners of those professions.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Al, I'll just get the wife to give them THE LOOK ! No man can thwart off those powers.

Blog Entries
    My rule is "The bitterness of poor quality lingers longer after the cheap price is forgotten." Saving for a saw with cast extensions and a steel fence IMHO is the way to go. You can get a Jet with the steel 52" fence for around 800 with the cast extension and around 700 with the stamped extension.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Thanks to all who gave their opinions and logic. I've decided to pass on this as it would only be a lateral change. I have a 5 hp Unisaw with Biesemeyer 66" fence and 2 older Delta Contractor saws for jobsite saws. They (the Contractor saws) are in good condition with no problems. The "value engineered" comment hit home though, and I would rather buy American when I can. My saws are all 20-30 years old and run as well as the day they were new. I just thought the price was good and I needed a new "toy". Thanks to all you Creekers and have a great weekend.
    I am not what I want to be.
    I am not what I hope to be.
    But by the grace of God, I am not what I was.