Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You have to appreciate this!

Not political

I didn't think you sounded political. Seeing something like that makes most of us drool and dream. As you state, today's dealings aren't all above board any longer so many of us have learned to be very very wary! Your input set the record straight for me and enjoyed hearing it. Also understand your position as I have been shoeing horses for thirty years and have grown weary of being beaten up by the horses so took my knowledge and prefer to work with the iron using a torch or forge. Your knowledge through working with wood creates an opportunity for you to rebuild and properly set up machines in a working fashion.
    Just out of curiosity, do you have the books/specs for these machines for the buyer then?

Jon,
    Yes, I have the docs for most of these machines. Most of the Delta docs are available for downloading at the OWWM site. I encourage anyone that downloads from that site to donate generously to them. They have put together a huge amount of valuable info that has helped thousands out there. My hat goes off to Keith Bohn, Keith Rucker, Bob Vaughn and many others who have helped put that site together and keep it up and running.
    Tim

Tim, you're a bit of a mandolin connoisseur too, aren't you?
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

4. Tim,
    Could you post the pictures of the shop here, I just logged in and missed the eBay link while it was active. With everyone drooling all over the place, I wanted to drool too. I have an old 1948 Walker Turner Band Saw Metal/Wood that I love. The gear driven motor still works well. It was in great shape when I got it, but needed refinishing, and a good tune up alignment. It's all cast iron, everything including the wheel covers. I think it weighs around 525 pounds. I called Delta, since they bought Walker Turner, and they said, by the serial number it was one of the last ones made.

First the before shot, then the restored pictures follow.

I also have an old Delta large belt sanding station, not exactly sure what year it is, but very old for sure. It creeps a setting when you adjust the side to side alignment of the belt. Maybe it needs bearings, or is it something else? You appear to be the one to ask about that. While using it, I keep an eye on the belt, and readjust on the fly if I need to.

Looking forward to the pics.
    Last edited by Bob Feeser; 08-06-2007 at 12:45 PM.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Langford View Post
    Tim, you're a bit of a mandolin connoisseur too, aren't you?
    Hi Mike, Yes, I guess that you could say that. I have played guitar since I was 11. I bought my first mandolin at age 43 and haven't hardly picked up a guitar since. They are quite an addicting little instrument. I wish that I had started playing when I was younger. I really admire the guys who are custom building high-end mandolins. They are quite a work of art.
    Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bob,
    First, I have to say, very nice job on the restoration of the Walker Turner. That looks like a great piece. I have yet to own one of thier bandsaws myself.
    In order for your Delta beltsander to track properly, you need to make sure that the drive pulley is crowned. It doesn't hurt if the idler is crowned also but most of them are flat. However, if either pulley is concave in the middle at all, the sander will not track properly. Usually, the idler is the culprit. They tend to wear in the middle which of course leaves the edges high, which in turn allows the belt to wander.
    To stay within the rules here at SMC, I will send you a link on the back channel of my collection.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Shetler View Post
    Hi Mike, Yes, I guess that you could say that. I have played guitar since I was 11. I bought my first mandolin at age 43 and haven't hardly picked up a guitar since. They are quite an addicting little instrument. I wish that I had started playing when I was younger. I really admire the guys who are custom building high-end mandolins. They are quite a work of art.
    Tim
    I too am a guitar player and I fell in love with the sound,shape,and construction of the mandolin......So I've been (sloooooowly) trying to building a F-style mandolin from scratch......obtaining and building the tools,jigs,and knowledge needed.
    Picture 2177.jpg Picture 2188.jpg Picture 1911.jpg

I love building mandolins because they challenge you with a little carving,a little inlay,some wood shaping,some wood bending,lots of trim and detailing.........They ARE works of Art and Sculpture too!

btw - Is that a Michael Heiden?
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Looks like it is coming along nicely. I have toyed with building one but would like to apprentice under someone like Heiden to learn it properly.
    And yes, that is Heiden #23 1996. With deep regret, I sold that mando just recently. It was incredible. The guy that bought it already owned a Collings MF5 Varnish and a Gibson MM but he was totally blown away by the Heiden. Michael is a talented builder and a great person as well.
    Tim