Thread: When to apply finish

When to apply finish

I have gotten some great advice on how to apply a finish and what to use. The bigger question right now is when should I or shouldn't I apply a finish. I do most of my woodworking in my basement therefore that is where I will apply the finish. I open up the windows and put fans around to circulate the air. Not the best situation but not the worst either.

It has been very humid and hot for the last week. I have been running the dehumidifier full time but it is still a basement and has the musty smell of a basement in the summer time.

The key question is should I wait another month and let everything cool down outside etc. and wait for the humidity levels to go down or do I just stay right with the manufacturers recommendations on temp. and humidity? What does everyone else do during the summer months or those always in hot and humid weather what do you do? Do most of the finishes just take longer to cure?

BTW I am finishing a baby changing table with BLO and then de-waxed shellac with waterlox top coat.

Thanks for all the advice.

If you are using oil based finishes, you will not have a problem with relative humidity below 85-90%. Even above that it will just slow up drying by 6-12 hours or so.

However, if you are using a waterborne finish, high humidity is more of a problem.
    Howie.........