I am so stoked that I finally was able to run a test with my new Rabbit HX3040! I had originally thought the laser wasn't firing - well it wasn't. But it was not because there was anything wrong with the machine. Rather it was me not knowing what I was doing. With some hand holding by Pete Hagan while I ran through electrical tests and some software trials I still didn't think I was getting a beam. Didn't realize you couldn't see it! And I also had the machine bed set too low because it felt like it stopped as I turned it higher and apparently it had just hit a tight spot. When I measured 45mm from the head to the top of the work piece it made all the difference in the world!

Anyway, I was then able to use the software program to do a test on a piece of basswood with very clean lines and legible lettering. I do have to mention if anyone else buys the HX3040 that there are a couple of buttons that are not labeled and one was necessary for the quick laser test but I was afraid to do anything because I had no idea what it was for. It is a light green button on the control panel that should be held down while you hit the laser test button. Instructions said something but they were not clear on that point.

I am going through the set up manual that came with the machine and will try to translate it into more understandable English and it will then be available for anyone who might need it. Some of what I learned in the set up will also be addressed.

I should now be able to try a picture engraving and also see about cutting some thin basswood. Having set a piece of card stock on fire I think I will wait to get a CO2 extinguisher before trying any cutting!

All in all I am totally pleased both with the purchase procedure and with the machine itself. It is solidly built and everything arrived intact - so I do have a back up laser tube for future use.

Again, thank you Pete for your much appreciated patience!