Thread: Thickness of plywood panels

Thickness of plywood panels

I am making 2 end tables of cherry. They each will contain a drawer and a cabinet below for magazines. I am using frame and panel construction. Yesterday on a TOH rerun Norm was making panels somewhat similar for a This O H project. He chose 1/2" plywood and put a 1/4" tenon all the way around. He said his panels would have been too flimsy otherwise.

Now I can't follow his lead, exactly, because I don't know where to get 1/2" cherry plywood, I have already bought the 1/4" and am spending more on this project than it may be worth. Should think about stiffening them up a bit? The largest panel is about 17" square. I could add an extra rail or stile to shrink it, or I could glue on a fake rail or stile. If I did that on the interior of the cabinet, It'd never bee seen
    18th century nut --- Carl

If you can't get 1/2" versions of the ply you want, but have 1/4" thickness available...laminate it together.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used frame and 1/4" ply panel construction on doors for my entertainment center almost 5 years and they are holding up great to every day use. I used them on my soon to be completed bathroom cabinets too. Even a 1/4" ply panel over 17" is going to be pretty stiff if the ply is decent quality (and I'm assuming that cherry is pretty much only available in good quality.)

My instinct (worth what I paid for it) says 1/4 inch panels are sufficient for an end table. Unless perhaps it's for a child's room where it's likely to get bashed
    from the side.

The panels are mostly to keep the piece from racking and from that point of view, yours are 17" thick.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate