Thread: anhydrous alcohol for french polish?

anhydrous alcohol for french polish?

I've been using Hock's anhydrous denatured alcohol for my french polishing. It works great but was wondering if it's really necessary or could I use regular denatured alcohol like Klean Strip? Kind of hate to mess with something that works but the anhydrous is $16.99/Qt. vs $5.97/Qt. at Wally World for the regular stuff. Thanks

Regular denatured alcohol will work just fine to dissolve shellac flakes for french polishing.

DNA at the local Borgs is about $10-11/gallon. Handy stuff to have around...I use it to light charcoal.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

This may be considered heresy by some, but here we go.

I use denatured alcohol to mix my shellac too. I have some anhydrous isopropyl to act as a retarder when needed. One day I noticed 2 kinds of "rubbing alcohol" at CVS (Walgreens too probably more) one was 70% and one was 93%.

H'mm removing that 7% is pretty expensive. I use it a lot and haven't had any blushing problems. I use it to cut shellac rather than dissolving it so if I cut a pint of mixed shellac with a pint of 93% I would be adding 3.5% water to the mix.

I use the 93% to remove shellac, rather than the denatured, 100% of the time and that's how I discovered its use. While removing a very old finish, I started to notice that if I sort of French Polished with my rag, it got pretty shiny.

As always try it on a test piece first. All other caveats and warnings that the Feds could get you using a product for other than its intended use.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Spence View Post
    Regular denatured alcohol will work just fine to dissolve shellac flakes for french polishing.
    So.... is the anhydrous and associated extra expense just for suckers like me or is there ever a reason to use it?

Over time Anhydrous ETOH will absorb water from the air and stabilize at 96%. That is . . . if I remember college chemistry correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Milito View Post
    Over time Anhydrous ETOH will absorb water from the air and stabilize at 96%. That is . . . if I remember college chemistry correctly.
    That is correct and it will even go lower depending on temperature and RH.

Don't waste your time and $ with the anhydrous stuff

Went to Woodcraft and they suggested the BEHLEN Behkol alcohol. Much cheaper ($7.99). Any thoughts? BTW, Thanks to all who have contributed.
    Mike