Thread: New tool

New tool

I got it in the mail on Friday. It is a Granberg Alsaska Mark 3 mill. I spent all day Saturday working with it. It is awesome. I sawed some oak up. Some for my wife to use with her scroll saw work and some 2-3" slabs for me to use on plates and platters. Here are some pictures. One is of my new mill, one of several of the slabs for my wife(all between 16-18" wide), and then a slab from a crotch that I cut(it is going to make a really nice platter.)

Stacey
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a lot of fun! How much did you pay for mill attachment? Did you get a rip chain or use a regular chain? Did you set up 2x4 rails that they mention? If so, how'd you get them straigt & parallel? Sorry for all the questions, but I've often thought about doing this with some of the urban wood scores we get down here.

Stacey, thanks for posting this.

My Alaskan Mark III is supposed to arrive sometime this week. I'm looking forward to giving it a workout. I'm glad to know that it works as well as they say.

It is great

Martin,
    I love it. It was a bit of a workout but it worked really well. To answer your questions. I bought the 30" mill and it was $180 at Baileys. I also bought a new 28" bar for my chainsaw and a ripping chain to fit the new bar. I also got the rail jig that attaches to two 2x4's I used 10' 2x4's with the mounts for the jigs 1' in from each end. That way I could mill an eight foot log. I didn't have any trouble with bowing. I picked the straightest 2x4's I could find.
    Stacey