Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kim House complete wit pics

Mark, A big congrats to you. What an accomplishment to design a house and then fill it with furniture! That's awesome. I really enjoyed all the step by step construction of the furniture.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Fantastic

Mark,
    Great Job! I love the clean lines! The house looks light and airy!

I'm sure the Kim's are proud to live in such a beautiful masterpiece!

Congratulations!

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Gail O'Rourke View Post
    I love it - the pictures take my breathe away! I can see your hand print in every aspect of this home. It is modern, yet warm and inviting, like I am standing in the living room when viewing the pictures. Your use of wood in strategic place - ceiling, furniture and in combination with the stainless is striking. I am incredibly impressed. Great work - and kudos for building such a great team.

Congratulations.
    Thank you! I love your post! You start something like this and really never know where its going. I just tried to do my best with the design, detailing etc. The woodworking was also kind of an endless endeavor....clients don't really know what a hounds tooth dovetail is ....I like the challenge and I like to know my ability is still there when I need it.....someone asked me," how an architect learned to make fine furniture"...."I said "My Father put a saw in my hand when I was five years old....a long time before I knew what an Architect was..." I just take each aspect and do my best.....why do less?
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 08-06-2007 at 11:18 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!

As a displaced native Angeleno. That home makes me remember what I thought I had forgotten. I just don't have the words to express it Mark.

The Kim's are very lucky people.

Mark the whole thing is just beautiful, what more can I say.
    I love the open space of the house and the furniture is just awesome.

Great job !!!!!!!

An excellent wrap to all the posts we've seen on the various aspects of this project. Its good to see the whole come together. Congrats to you and your team Mark.

I really like it, Mark, especially with how much wood is exposed and in several species. The night pictures are stunning.

I do have one question, though. How does it sound inside? The interior surfaces look like they are all hard, which can mean excessive echoing (which I don't like), so is there something in the design that deals with sound waves?
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Nice work

Mark,

Nice work. One of the last Frank Lloyd Wright houses is in Wausau,
    Wisconsin. It is cement block. Wright did a number of cement block structure. I'm glad to see you using a great basis material so well.

Where did the chairs come from? Did you design those?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I really like it, Mark, especially with how much wood is exposed and in several species. The night pictures are stunning.

I do have one question, though. How does it sound inside? The interior surfaces look like they are all hard, which can mean excessive echoing (which I don't like), so is there something in the design that deals with sound waves?
    The key to better acoustics is to break or remove one reflecting surface (or more than one) The skylight helps a great deal. The rear multi slide windows open which also resolves this issue. It is not bad acoustically and as she adds softer material, rugs etc. it will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Duginske View Post
    Mark,

Nice work. One of the last Frank Lloyd Wright houses is in Wausau,
    Wisconsin. It is cement block. Wright did a number of cement block structure. I'm glad to see you using a great basis material so well.

Where did the chairs come from? Did you design those?
    Mark,
    Yes I designed and built the chairs for my own home about six years ago. She really wanted them and I ended up selling her the walnut chairs and wenge table. I made a new table for my home and bought 10 Wegner Wishbone Chairs.
    See the thread below.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...+walnut+chairs

All I can add is that it is Gorgous!!! I would LOVE to have the money to afford it!

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Mark,

Congrats on the completion of a beautiful house. I really like the open spaces and the connection to the outdoors. The pictures themselves are outstanding. Did you take those?

Greg

I like the house, boy would I like to live there. I just don't think I could afford it.

Thanks for showing it to us Mark,

Mike

Mark, As a Chef I have never understood the concept of having a sink in the middle of a work area. Is the client cooking or washing dishes. Bet none of your chefs have a sink in their face.
    The house is beautiful, fantastic, what’s not to like. Is the fishing good out front?
    Again I admire the volume of your production, I know I didn’t build a house last year and the coffee table is still in my head.
    Great work
    Bob
    Poor Antonio Stradivari, he never had a Shaper

Prep sink, Bob! For washing veggies while you slice and dice them...or maybe even juliane...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...