Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nardelli to destroy Chrysler next

Given the contemptuous way Nardelli treated the investors at HD, I have no respect for the man and placing him as the head of Chrsyler only reaffirms my convictions that the corporate culture is simply corrupt beyond redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McGuire View Post
    The guy that truley gets screwed in this whole exchange is the one that comes to work and does what he is paid do, and generally does it well. Why should he put forth the effort when the other guy still has a job and does nothing
    Because at the end of the day he can feel good about the job "HE" did and not worry about what someone else got away with.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    Because at the end of the day he can feel good about the job "HE" did and not worry about what someone else got away with.
    Scott,

I don't disagree with that statment what so ever. In fact that is why I got out of the union and into management, so I could control my own destiny so to speak. I also know that the "what have you done for me lately" attitude is pervasive and it is easy for the guy in the middle to feel lost, when he can't earn any more money then the clown that does not do his job and gets all of the attention of the union. In fact you can't even recoginize that guy who does his job well in front of his peers for fear of retribution towards him from his union "brothers." The union has a way of trying to bring every one down to the lowest common demonitor. The reality of the situation is that the clown who does not work should be tossed out on his ear and his spot taken by someone that respects the job to raise the level of productivity and quality instead lowering it.

I've seen what Dan's talking about. The hard workers are treated with contempt by thier peers. I've spent many months working as a contractor in union auto plants. The work rules for us were ridiculous and cost those companies major $$. We couldn't work without an electrician to "supervise" us while we programmed. Only trouble is, we got assigned do-nothing electricians. In an 8 hour day we'd be lucky to get 4 hours work in. 1 hour to get going in the AM, breaks, lunches, 1 hour to wind the day down and we'd loose 1/2 the day. When we were working, the electricians would literally sleep.

Now I KNOW there are plenty of hardworking, proud union members. What I've seen in the auto industry is that these hard-working folks are losing big time because of by the do-nothings who are just driving up costs.

With respect to cost. The labor cost differences between the domestic auto companies and the foreign owned auto companies producing products in the US is not in wages. The difference is in the cost of things like pension and medical care. Dana, the UAW, and the United Steel Workers recently reached what many are calling an historic agreement for the unions to take over the responsibility for their member's pensions. That caps Dana's (who is bankrupt) financial responsiblity. There is talk that that could be a model to get GM/Ford/Chrysler out from under a crushing financial responsibility.

I certainly hope it works. While my own job is no longer tied to the fate of the auto industry or even the Michigan economy, my wife who works for a local hospital, my dad who is a Ford salaried retiree, and my mom who is a public school retiree and depends on the State of Michigan for her pension all need it to happen. Many SMC members need it to happen, and this country needs it to happen because we can't afford to loose one of our biggest industries.

With respect to corporate management, having recently left a fairly large public company I couldn't agree more. Even in the upper-middle ranks, all my business unit leader cared about was taking care of his buddies and funding his retirement house in N. Carolina and his Porche. Which should have gotten him fired right on the spot since our units largest customer was GM.

BTW, on the news this morning they reported that employee's were literally seen dancing on the front lawn at Chrysler right after the official take over by Cerebus.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morgan View Post
    I just checked their web site. I guess they are offering a lifetime warranty
    INTRODUCING THE BEST WARRANTY COVERAGE IN THE BUSINESS.
    Hey that's great. Nardo can get out with his golden parachute due to increased sales and the company (and its walking-wounded employees) can choke to death on a lifetime warranted crummy product. . . . .did I say that out loud?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    lol. Other than that I ain't saying a thing, nope, nosireee, not me bub. Not a thing.
    Me niether. I've owned my one and only Dodge and my one and only Jeep product. My Ford T-birds were fun while they lasted (not long, trannys). Loved my 71 Malibu that the 'ex' got in the divorce. Have loved all my Hondas (LOML's civic is 150,000 plus and has never even blinked) and really liked my Toyotas. I did drive the pea-wad out of a Olds Intrigue; it was an exceptional American car. But, no more Chrylsers for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post

With respect to cost. The labor cost differences between the domestic auto companies and the foreign owned auto companies producing products in the US is not in wages. The difference is in the cost of things like pension and medical care.

While my own job is no longer tied to the fate of the auto industry or even the Michigan economy, my wife who works for a local hospital, my dad who is a Ford salaried retiree, and my mom who is a public school retiree and depends on the State of Michigan for her pension all need it to happen. Many SMC members need it to happen, and this country needs it to happen because we can't afford to loose one of our biggest industries.
    Matt,

You are exactly right. It's not wages, it's the bennies and pensions. But I don't necessarily agree that the country is losing the auto industry. What I do believe is that Michigan and the upper midwest are losing the auto industry.

Here in the south, they are building new plants all the time. BMW and Michelin here in Greenville; Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, etc. plants are sprouting all over the southeast. Now the International Consortium for Automotive Research (ICAR) is building their very large research facility here in Greenville as well. BMW just announced a 450,000 sq. ft expansion. Michelin just announced a big expansion. Auto parts suppliers are flocking to the area. The center of automotive gravity is shifting, I'm afraid.

Why the exodus? No unions. They pay union wages but save considerable on the pension costs by offering 401k's instead of fixed payment pensions. Cost of living is cheaper (read taxes), so the workers have a higher living standard. The unions try, but local workers have seen what happened in Michigan and other places and want no part of it.

BTW, this is in no way a gloat of any kind. It is just a fact of life and pretty sad at that. We are happy to have the industry but not at the expense of our northern neighbors.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Hello,
    He's used to cutting back people on a whim and paying them poorly. No way the UAW is going to go for that.
    The UAW won't do much to oppose it. Maybe raise dues or something.

Same as the rubber union, the steel workers union, plumbers union, wheelrights union, teamsters union,,,, I could go on for quite while.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon