Thread: Shop Fox mortising machine

Shop Fox mortising machine

Hi:

Has anyone seen the Shop Fox mortising machine? How does it compare to the Jet and Delta mortising machines?

Thanks,

Bob

shop fox mortising machine

I have this machine and have no complaints. Very solid and large capacity. Get a cross slide vise to go with it.

Bob,

I have had my Shop Fox mortiser for about a year and have absolutely no complaints. I compared it side by side with the Jet and Delta. I feel the Shop Fox is more versatile and stronger built. I would not hesitate to buy it again.

Bob

Bob,
    I can only tell you what I've learned while looking into a mortiser...Delta...Jet...Shop Fox...General. I actually spent a long time trying to justify not buying one. I've done them by drill press and chisel forever.

I picked the new Delta 14-651 because of the deflection of the head because of how it's mounted...and the fence...the gas-filled head stablizer and the table size...they simply grabbed my attention. I also compared the tools that come with each of the machines. When I got it I opened the box and within a few I was cutting square holes.

I'm really not trying to sway you...I'm sure you'll be happy with either of them...and the people who commented on Shop Fox sound like they are. I would just take some time and make a comparision list of things that you feel make a difference. If you can go touch them. The prices are close enough to go with your research results. Then do it...and enjoy.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Bob,
    Like Glenn I bought the Delta unit. I had just read a magazine review and it came out as the only one that cut mortises with little effort. Know you would think that would be a function of how sharp the chisel and bits were but I can't remember. I'll try to dig it up and will get back if I do.

I have a ShopFox cabinet saw, jointer and osciallating sander and all are great so I don't believe you can go wrong that way either.

I just got done comparing a few brands this evening at the Woodworking show. After all said and done, I'd go with the Fisch brand. Just seem to have more features and better built. The Shop Fox chissel speed is considerably faster than the rest of the mortisers. Some say that the faster speeds have more of a tendancy to burn up the bits.
    With money being an issue with me I went with a Jet.

Wink

I have the ShopFox and am quite pleased with it. A friend has the Grizzly and he never uses it because he says it it too hard to push and burns the wood. I haven't tried his or any other grizzly morticer though.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

I have had the ShopFox for about 2 years now & the RPM has had no effect on the Bits or chisels, it work great & is a heavier built machine. I equate this machine as half way between a bench mounted & floor model machine. You won't be sorry if you get it ShopFox/Grizzly did their home work on this one.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen