Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody here memorized the Grizzly Catalog?

As Grizzly transfers more production to China I look at their catalog less. I have a few newer Grizzly tools and they are decent tools but there are much better tools out there. I don't really see myself buying another Grizzly tool.

Nope. It's somewhere in my office, but I generally look stuff up online...but like John, I really do love the pages with the guitar stuff, especially Shiraz's outstanding work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I thought that was a prerequisite for participation on this forum....
    David DeCristoforo

4. Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Scott View Post
    As Grizzly transfers more production to China I look at their catalog less. I have a few newer Grizzly tools and they are decent tools but there are much better tools out there. I don't really see myself buying another Grizzly tool.

Not buying products from any company is a person’s prerogative and a decision that only that person can make.

We feel that we have a very good balance of Taiwan and Chinese made products, the majority of our products being from Taiwan and where we maintain a larger employee base of quality control engineers. We also have an office with our quality control engineers in China.

We are offered cheaper priced products from China practically on a daily basis. Just because a factory offers us a cheaper price does not mean that we switch to them. For example, all of our woodworking bandsaws and 95% of our metalworking bandsaws are made in Taiwan. We have an outstanding woodworking bandsaw factory in Taiwan that has made quality a priority and we would not change even if the same item is available for half the price from a factory in China. Same thing with table saws – all of ours are made in Taiwan except for that little palm held "toy" that we sell.

Jointers and planers, we offer two price ranges, with the lower priced ones from China and higher priced ones from Taiwan. Many of the China made jointers and planers come from a factory owned and run by its Taiwanese counterpart with whom we have dealt since I began Grizzly in 1983.

Wide Belt Sanders and Edge Sanders – all from Taiwan.
    Sliding Table Saws – all from Taiwan.
    Dust collectors - all from Taiwan, except for the tiny G8027.
    Shapers – all from Taiwan.
    Power Feeders – all from Taiwan.
    Sanding Belts – Taiwan and Switzerland.
    Bandsaw Blades – United States.

etc….

If you are talking about hand tools and vises etc... most of the Taiwanese factories for such items have shut down, replaced by factories in India and China. It's a world economy!
    Last edited by Shiraz Balolia; 08-09-2007 at 1:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    I thought that was a prerequisite for participation on this forum....
    Oooooooo.....
    They oughta' rise to that bait.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    ...We feel that we have a very good balance of Taiwan and Chinese made products, the majority of our products being from Taiwan and where we maintain a larger employee base of quality control engineers. We also have an office with our quality control engineers in China. ... It's a world economy!
    Okay, I'm new here to this board and realize that you are a major part of Grizzly. I don't know if it is proper or not but I'm asking!

Any free lathes or tables saws you have, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands. Or if you just need an obscure objective tester in Ohio... I'd be more than be your man errrr... person!

Incidentally, I agree, you can't get away from a world market. The best that adjust will be the ones that succeed.

Well, since I filled out the request twice, without receiving a catalog, I'll have to say no. Sure have other companies catalogs though, and I must say it sure is expensive "reading room" time.

8. Why would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Scott View Post
    These kind of posts from the uninformed always give me a chuckle.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I own some Grizzly tools as well as Powermatic, Robland, Ridgid, Delta, Porter Cable, Stanley, Marples, ... Interestingly, I've never thought where they were made was very important. It's always been about if they worked and did the job in a satisfactory way. I do like to surf their catalog and website.

Rob Will Guest
    I look at it every now and then and once purchased some USA made clamps from Grizzly. Otherwise, I don't like the fit and finish of Pacific rim tools. I know that this is a taboo subject but I'm just being honest. Every time I buy some Pacific rim stuff, the low price is sweet (for a while) but after some time goes by it seems like I always end up thinking "I should have bought that Bridgeport" or "I should have bought that old Powermatic". Grizzly seems to be an excellent company to do business with but for my shop, I'm only interested in the USA made items that they sell.

Rob

So tell me, Bart, how I am uninformed. When I started looking for 8" jointers I included Grizzly in my search. The problem is that none of them are made in Taiwan like they used to be. All are made in China as was told to me by a Grizzly rep. Sorry, Bart, but you are the ignorant one here.

LOL, INDEED, I find myself constantly reading and re-reading the Grizzly catalog and website every couple days, looking at those great woodworking bandsaws!

I'm totally in love with their 17"-22"ish bandsaw line...NOW my problem is that they've come out with this ultmate 17" bandsaw G0636X, a few steps above what I had intended to buy but ooohhhh so sexy... I am waiting now for some reviews comparing that saw to MM16 and Laguna, before I purchase the 18".

But back to TOPIC--You're right, it's a fun and impressive read!

I've had their catalog for years and have even visited the showroom in Muncy. I've bought a few small tools from them, but never a major woodworking machine - until last night. I placed an order for one of their table saws. Enough drooling, now for a little more action.

I've just bought a 12" extreme series jointer with spiral head....the number is G9860ZX. This is one of the finest tools in my shop , and I've got several "name brands"....including mini'max , powermatic, etc. It says made in Taiwan on the label. I will be buying the 20" Griz planer with the spiral head and the oscillating spindle sander soon....and without hesitation.Good stuff IMHO.

also, since my real job is running an HVAC company, I will be buying their sheetmetal Box and Pan brake
    Last edited by Randy Denby; 08-14-2007 at 10:43 AM.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.