Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I lost my job......now what?

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone, I knew this was coming and like I said, I wasn't to happy with the new management.
    I suppose it will work out for the better in the end. I just have to determine a direction from here, and that's why I thought I my woodworking skills might be something to do that I'd enjoy.
    The real question is do I make my hobby a business, and how long can I hold out finacially to get it off the ground?
    I'm thinking I'll get some other kind of a sales job for the time being, and get the woodworking off the ground part-time.
    In the mean time it still bugs me to have let my temper get the better of me.

Robert, I'm about to get the heave-ho from Ford's. My last day will be Sept 1st. They are downsizing and I'm one of 450 low seniority people that have to go. I'm taking the buyout 'cause there is no other choice. Sorry to hear about tour difficulties. Big corporations always hire some young do-gooders that will make the change from within and turn the company around but all they do is turm our stomachs with the poop they pull. (sorry for the rant,good luck).
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Hi Robert,

I'm sorry that things took an unexpected turn but, for me in life these have always paid off. Why not try to find a job that combines your known tallents in sales along with your love of woodworking? The cabinet job sounds like a posibility. But, you have to beware. In psychology there is a principle known as the "Premack Principle" and I will try not to break into a lecture here but, this principle suggests that once you take something you enjoy doing for the pure pleasure of it (in this case woodworking) and turn it into something you must be paid for, you tend to lose interest in what was once fun and see it as nothing more than work. There must be a zilllion custom cabinet shops out there that need good customer-focused sales help. I hope you find one that is a good fit for your skills and needs.

Robert,
    maybe check out a boat dealership. I used to sell boats and did quite well. The commissions are much better than cars and you can broker boats for people as well and that can be very lucrative. I did however give up doing to get a more predictable paycheck. I do miss doing it though.
    This could lead you to do a bit more with the woodworking as well since many boat owners like to chat and you might throw it out there that you are a woodworker. This could lead into some side work here and there.
    just a thought.
    Best of luck.
    john
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

well you have the sales part down so that would help. but woodworking is a tough business to make money with. you will not enjoy doing it most likely if you do it for a living. you have to make sacrifices in quality and workmanship to make money. it is hard to sell pieces that
    Steve knight
    cnc routing