Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap baltic birch??

Cheap baltic birch??

Picked up some unfinished 1/2" baltic birch ply at Rockler yesterday. $25 for a 2x5 sheet. Ouch!!

Does anybody in the Boston area carry full 4x8 sheets of Baltic Birch or other suitable drawer stock for a reasonable price?

JW

Have you checked Boulter Plywood in Somerville. 1/2" 5X5 is $49.00. 4X8 is $95.00. Still not cheap.
    Al

Baltic birch prices are way up. There is a shortage and some places are having trouble getting it at all. The place I bought mine from about 6 weeks ago was holding their current price, but the next load was going to cost a whole lot more. Another big supplier in this area has a warning about its availability in their price list.

McCoys here in Tyler, TX has the Russian "Baltic Birch", 1/2" x 5' x 5' sheet for just under $30 last week, except they were currently out. I bought some a couple of years ago under $20 and found it to be solid and a good buy. They carry it for cabinet use, and do not stock other thickness. Check out some cabinet shops and they might sell a sheet or so.

Highland hardwoods in brentwood NH
    1/2" 5x5 B/BB for $39.95 3/4" for $58.95
    If I am not mistaking they have 5% off if you buy 5 sheets and 10% if you by 10 sheets.
    I would call ahead of time because last time I went there was not a lot remaining.

"Cheap Baltic Birch" is an oxymoron these days.
    "You don’t get harmony when everybody sings the same note." —Doug Floyd

As Tyler said, ain't no cheap BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    ...full 4x8 sheets of Baltic Birch ...
    Baltic Birch, AFAIK, isn't fabricated in 4x8 sheets. "full size" sheets are 5' x 5'.

An American made alternative void free plywood is "Appleply" which IS made in "standard" 4x8 sheet sizes. Only problem, other than cost, is that finding Appleply in less than industrial quantities can be quite difficult. Incidentally, "Appleply" is a brand name and doesn't imply the wood is from an Apple tree.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I pay an average of $45 for a 5'x5' sheet of BB ply at my local supplier. They can get me a 4'x8' product, but I actually prefer the smaller sheets most of the time for easier handling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

10. Just bought 4 sheets of BB in 1/2". $25.00. 5x5. And I though that was high.
    Dan

Dan, that's cheaper than around here. The three places I've bougth from are $25.20, $29.95 and $34.50. The lowest priced place is probably the lowest volume and the highest price the highest volume, so I suspect their prices are going up as they refesh their stock.

Go here:
    http://www.statesind.com/market/zipcode.html

Plug in your Zip code and cal the dealers listed.
    States Industries deals in Appleply

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    Baltic Birch, AFAIK, isn't fabricated in 4x8 sheets. "full size" sheets are 5' x 5'.
    Here in Nebraksa, Menards sells "Baltic Birch" in 4'x8' sheets. The 3/4" is $63 the 1/2" is about $50, and the 1/4" is $25. I do not know whether it is real Baltic Birch or a knockoff, but except for the sizes, it is identical to the 5'x5' sheets I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Purcell View Post
    "Cheap Baltic Birch" is an oxymoron these days.
    Took the words right out of my mouth! I immediately had the same thought!

Wes

Art, if the stuff Menards sells is of Chinese origin, it ight be the same stuff Home Depot is/was selling. It looked like BB, but the face veneers are really thin, the thickness wasn't uniform even within the same sheet, and many of us had trouble with it warping even with proper storage. Then again it might be just fine as I've not seen it, but be careful as Menards tends to focus on lowest price.