View Poll Results: Ear-plugs or Ear-muffs?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ear-plugs

39 24.68%
  • Ear-muffs

119 75.32%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ear-plugs or Ear-muffs?

Blog Entries

Ear-plugs or Ear-muffs?

I've always been an ear-plug guy. I have recently seen some muffs that approach the levels of reduction of good plugs. Which do you prefer?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I'm a muff guy. Some plugs work very well but I can't wear them for long periods of time.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I use plugs in the summer when it's hot, and muffs when it's cooler. Sometimes I wear both when I'm planing.

The plugs I wear are the rubber ones on a cord... I wash them in the dishwasher and get many, many re-uses from them.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Yellow plugs on the chord most of the time. In certain instances I will wear muffs but the majority of the time is the plugs. I have been contemplating getting some of those ear muffs that have a radio in them, but I don't know if it would be a distraction.

I can't stand sticking anything in my ears had many ear infections growing up. I use muffs at home and work.

Plugs Here

I actualy wear the yellow ones that are on the blue plastic u-shaped piece. You never have to roll them with dirty fingers to insert them and they are quick and easy to clean. I even wear hearing protection when mowing the grass.

Noise above 85 db is easy to get. Not sure where 85 db is? Here is a quick test. If at an arm's length, you have to raise your voice above a normal tone for someone to hear you over the noise, the noise is above 85 db.

What did you say?

I have custom made plugs. They are very comfortable and cut the noise better than any of the muffs that I have tried.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Worktunes

Peltor Worktunes are one of the best investments I have made for my shop! They are the ones with the radio built in. The only complaint I have is that they are very sensitive when it comes to tuning the radio. I would love a pair with a digital tuner and 5 presets.

When I run my dewalt 735 planer I put in earplugs and then my earmuffs....that little guy is LOUD!

Andy

I can't give a yea-nay vote. Muffs inside and plugs outside. The muffs go on and off easier and I only use them when needed. Outside a pair of plugs on a cord which are easier to keep track of by hanging around my neck but more of a nuisance for me to use.

Ear muffs in the shop as I wear a conventional ball cap type hat there. Ear plugs out shooting as I wear a cowboy hat in the out of doors. Both with the planer isn't a bad idea, my DeWalt planer gets right at it also!

both, when using most power tools. plugs only when just working while i have the air cleaner running.

I wear plugs with the lawn mower and muffs in the shop. Maybe both if the oiless (hate it) compressor or planer will be running a lot.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I have a couple of pairs of the Bose noise cancelling headsets. Great investment for any type of noise control. I use an older over the ear set (QC1's) in the shop and a set of QC3's (on the ear) for flying, tractor work and other outdoor activities.

I just don't care for plugs. I, too, had lots of ear infections as a kid, and the plugs just remind me of that pain and pressure. I have a decent pair of muffs for shooting that have migrated to other duties as well. For chainsaw work, I have one of the all-in-one Husqy helmets (helmet, face-screen, ear muffs and neck drape), and that is the cat's meow. If you need to stop and talk to someone, the earmuffs can be pulled out about an inch (and stay there) individually.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Howard View Post
    Peltor Worktunes are one of the best investments I have made for my shop! They are the ones with the radio built in. The only complaint I have is that they are very sensitive when it comes to tuning the radio. I would love a pair with a digital tuner and 5 presets.

When I run my dewalt 735 planer I put in earplugs and then my earmuffs....that little guy is LOUD!

Andy
    What Andy said. I have one of those FM transmitters that you plug into the earphone jack on the stereo - whatever is playing on the stereo, I'm listening to on 88.1 FM on the Peltors. When I used to work in a commercial shop, I'd get a lot of interference on the radio - I haven't noticed it in my own small shop (no 3 phase 550V machinery here).

If I'm running a planer or jointer for any length of time, I'll put plugs in under the Peltors - I wear glasses so the muffs don't get a great seal around my ears.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.