Thread: Green tomatoes

Green tomatoes

Okay, to further the information provided in Cliff's post about tomatoes. They turn red or yellow???????? The only way and time to eat a tomatoe is when it is green. Wash, slice, flip in flour, fry in pan, add ketchup to taste and eat until barely able to walk back to clean your plate and put it away!!!

Green, yellow, or red. There is no such thing as a bad tasting tomato!!!!!!!
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Jon, you MUST have grown up in the South!! But the tomatoes have to be a little on the yellow side of green before they are really good fried like that. If they are hard green, they are too bitter (for my taste, anyway).

Nancy (134 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

There is an out-of-the-way place near Bradenton, Fla. that makes some very tasty fried green tomatoes. The name of the place is "Linger Lodge." Their taxidermy displays are very, um, interesting. The food is good and the prices are reasonable. It is listed in the top 5 of weirdest places to eat. The night we were there, the wildlife was moving and making some racket. It is on the banks of the Braden River and there is not a dress code, but I recommend closed toed shoes and mosquito spray.
    Leigh Costello
    Epilog Mini 24, 45W, Corel X4
    Smile, make them wonder what ya did.

Quote Originally Posted by mark page View Post
    Yea, there many...the ones that come from the supermarket after traveling a gazillion miles in the back of a dark truck...one that didn't snap off the vine and onto your plate. Kinda like sweet corn where you want to shuck it while it's still on the stalk and bend the whole thing over to a waiting pot of boiling water or steam before you snip the ear from it's roost...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Last year my neighbor to the North of me died. He was a second hand farm equipment dealer. Really nice guy, anyway, the lady that just moved into his house is working on a series of grants from Purdue University and the gest of her research is to "dehybridize" the current tomatoe so it has shelf life and taste. So years from now, they might taste better thanks to her!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, there many...the ones that come from the supermarket after traveling a gazillion miles in the back of a dark truck...one that didn't snap off the vine and onto your plate. Kinda like sweet corn where you want to shuck it while it's still on the stalk and bend the whole thing over to a waiting pot of boiling water or steam before you snip the ear from it's roost...
    Well Jim, now that you put it that way, I will have to change my statement. I don't buy store tomatos so they didn't even enter my mind. We definately grow our own and having a bumper crop this year, mmmm good! Did I mention the grapefruit sized bell peppers, and ahhh those pole beans......
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Only two things money can't buy.
    That's true love and home grown tomatoes
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

My mom used to make green tomato chutney every year. It was delicious. She's been gone a few years now and I'd LOVE to be able to make some for my sandwiches/salads. Anyone have a good recipe for it?

Thanks,
    Dave Fifield

XYZ Laser - 45W Epilog 36EXT, Rotary, Corel X4, Photograv

Quote Originally Posted by mark page View Post
    Ahh? a rotten one with stuff oozing out of it and a big black spot in the middle and .....

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell View Post
    Only two things money can't buy.
    That's true love and home grown tomatoes
    Mom better leave those tomatos on the vine to get them sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

Jim, I know you are talking about commercial product, but with regards to corn, some newer (not new now but new 25-30 years ago) actually can get sweeter after it has been picked. One example is Illini Xtra Sweet. Got a love those "hybridizers" in Champaign/Urbana.

But yea you are right, fresh off the vine is the best.

Joe.....I'll tell you a true story....Here in Lewiston on occasion we'll get some good sweet corn. Earlier this summer we thought we'd gotten good sweet corn. Then last month we ended up on vacation near Bloomington IL and got some fresh sweet corn from my wife's cousin's field. In the field that afternoon, on the table that evening....THEN WE GOT GOOD SWEET CORN!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Joe.....I'll tell you a true story....Here in Lewiston on occasion we'll get some good sweet corn. Earlier this summer we thought we'd gotten good sweet corn. Then last month we ended up on vacation near Bloomington IL and got some fresh sweet corn from my wife's cousin's field. In the field that afternoon, on the table that evening....THEN WE GOT GOOD SWEET CORN!
    Ken, i believe it!