Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Must read article

I've got nothing against people who have the tons of money always to buy the most expensive tools out there. Thing is, they seem to spend a lot of their time justifying their expenditure. A lot of folks come across like they buy high-priced stuff to impress others. I'm much more impressed with someone who actually knows how to use tools to create something regardless of how much the tool costs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Kinda wonder what they say about the other hobbies that can cost a fortune, there were a few I was in that could/did get spendy, Drag racing, shooting, tournament fishing, plus a few others, heck even my cooking hobby can get more than a bit spendy if you outfit your kitchen with all the latest commercial equipment.
    I know that pro fishing now starts with a 50k boat and goes up from there, one of the guys on the walleye forum I visit just spent 80k for a Ranger with a 300hp Merc on it.

Got a buddy who's into muscle cars, anybody price a hemi cuda lately, how about a Shelby Cobra, last I heard way over 250k.

Maybe the morons who write this stuff ought to get out more, stop by my house (and many others) and see the millions I/we don't have invested in this hobby.
    No...maybe not, I don't think they'd sell many articles about little folk..

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Funny how they didn't mention any YB infill Planes such as the Saint James Bay or the Holtey. I think the LN's are cheap compared to those

Well, I gues we are just talking about everyday CEO's and Ex Presidents, not Bill Gates.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Overall I thought it was a good article. Any serious woodworker could pick it apart, but the general tone was positive.

I just can’t believe that anyone would pay 5K for a used DECKEL!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Robbins View Post
    you are a bunch of wealthy hobbyists, did you?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1186...weekendjournal
    When I read that article I thought, Oh Wow, those rich knuckleheads let me onto their forum by mistake. Shhhh, don't tell. It sure is a good thing I'm not into those inexpensive hobbies like golf, fishing, hunting, muscle cars, moto-cross, pop-tab collecting . . . oh, OK, pop-tab collecting is OK.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

6. aaaahhhh, good ole fashion humility, and I thought it didn't exist anymore. Call up the author, maybe you can get him to do a reprint with your name in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Avery View Post
    Certainly accurate in some cases...... I could have easily been one of people profiled for the article. What's great about SMC is that people from all walks of life, wide age spans, and differing means get together and discuss a common interest.

I'm not exactly weathy, but I do get the WSJ at work and saw the article. Hadn't heard of this place before, but I sure like what I see!
    So I guess they can make that 20,001

If Im Loaded !!!

If I'm part of the Wealthy I might just as well buy myself another tool .
    Ive felt pretty Executive lately until I go in the house . Well my Executive Decision needs to figure out how I can pay for some of that Powermatic Thunder .

I think it is a well written article as well. The surge of professionals into woodworking is something I have noticed over many years. I think it is a good thing.....we benefit from a much great selection of quality tools than ever before. With the internet there is wonderful sharing of ideas and techniques.....people learn much faster . The statement that many of the executives are affluent is true. I think the author finds it a bit refreshing that these "rich" guys are actually using their hands and building something rather than having endless discussions about what vintage cabernet they are collecting......or the art they found in a small town where they met the artist and had lunch discussing his tecnique for painting with acid on sheets of copper.....or the exectutive who has just bought his 11 th Ferrari... Rather than pretensous hobbies woodworking has humbled the wealthy executive to work with his hands instead of just writing checks and using his mouth to relate his experiences. He must use his mind too.....and the bottom line is ...he loves it! For the very same reasons we do. For many years I just had handsaws and electric drill was my only power tool....I still made nice stuff....relitive to that beggining most of you do have well equipped shops.....now it is up to you to make someting. For those of you that just collect tools than they might as well be bottles of wine or Ferraris ...if you are not using them to your potential. When you make something, it doesn't need to be huge or expensive, the most important thing is that it represents the very best you can do....in design and in crafstmanship.....if you do that , then that is all anyone including yourself can ask......and it will feel very good !
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 08-11-2007 at 10:28 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark, good reply. I agree with you, the only thing I don't like about the "wealthy" being involved is I can't compete with what they are willing and able to pay for tools and supplies. But they didn't just start yesterday so I don't expect to see a great surge in prices.

Well said, Mark. Too bad the WSJ journalist didn't have the opportunity to include you in the interviews. It would have added a more complete perspective to the article.

I would bet that the senior execs who are attracted to woodworking also tend to be some of the more effective and responsible leaders. There is something intrinsically honest about woodworking. The woodworker is directly responsible for the success or failure of a piece... no dumping the blame on a junior VP if the design is lousy or the execution is sloppy!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer View Post
    I think it is a well written article as well. The surge of professionals into woodworking is something I have noticed over many years. I think it is a good thing.....we benefit from a much great selection of quality tools than ever before. With the internet there is wonderful sharing of ideas and techniques.....people learn much faster . The statement that many of the executives are affluent is true. I think the author finds it a bit refreshing that these "rich" guys are actually using their hands and building something rather than having endless discussions about what vintage cabernet they are collecting......or the art they found in a small town where they met the artist and had lunch discussing his tecnique for painting with acid on sheets of copper.....or the exectutive who has just bought his 11 th Ferrari... Rather than pretensous hobbies woodworking has humbled the wealthy executive to work with his hands instead of just writing checks and using his mouth to relate his experiences. He must use his mind too.....and the bottom line is ...he loves it! For the very same reasons we do. For many years I just had handsaws and electric drill was my only power tool....I still made nice stuff....relitive to that beggining most of you do have well equipped shops.....now it is up to you to make someting. For those of you that just collect tools than they might as well be bottles of wine or Ferraris ...if you are not using them to your potential. When you make something, it doesn't need to be huge or expensive, the most important thing is that it represents the very best you can do....in design and in crafstmanship.....if you do that , then that is all anyone including yourself can ask......and it will feel very good !
    Well said, Mark....... as simple and elegant as the things you create.....

The former CEO of my company is an avid woodworker and in an interview with one publication a year or so ago, he stated that if he wasn't doing what he was doing career wise, he'd want to be a cabinetmaker. I've been pleasantly surprised at the number of coworkers, employees of competitors and customers whom all share in the love of working wood! And it's certainly a wonderful "mental health" activity for dealing the high-stress world we live in today in our work lives.

And that's very kewel to get a little exposure for SMC in the WSJ! Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, I don't know if I'd say that it's certainly a wonderful "mental health" activity for dealing the high-stress world we live in today in our work lives. I think if you keep it as a personal hobby maybe that would hold true some, but once you try to start selling your work, and have to make a liveing from it, then it becomes a whole new ball game and has the reverse effect.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 08-11-2007 at 5:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    Jim, I don't know if I'd say that it's certainly a wonderful "mental health" activity for dealing the high-stress world we live in today in our work lives. I think if you keep it as a personal hobby maybe that would hold true some, but once you try to start selling your work, and have to make a liveing from it, then it becomes a whole new ball game and has the reverse effect.
    Very true--and my comment applied to folks who do woodworking as an avocation, not a vocation. I personally don't sell my work--I can barely produce enough to keep up with my own needs! But there are many folks who love the art of woodworking and even when deriving their income from it, they truly enjoy what they do.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...