View Poll Results: Whose car gets the garage?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Husband

6 5.77%
  • The Wife

22 21.15%
  • Both cars are garaged

18 17.31%
  • Neither - garage used for storge, shop, etc.

50 48.08%
  • We have no garage

8 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who gets the garage?

Who gets the garage?

My wife parks her car in the garage, my truck stays outside because the other half of the garage is storage and tools.

I recently noticed the same applies to most of my neighbors, the wife's car in the garage, the husband's outside. It doesn't seem to matter which car is newer/more valuable. In fact mine's 5 years newer than hers.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Talking

Just be glad your tools aren't in the driveway ;-)

Mine won't fit in the garage...too tall by about 2". Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

My wife told me when we moved into the house that I could have the garage, if she got the rest of the house. I think it took me about 1 second to say, "DONE!"

- Keith

When we moved it was a requirement that there be a separate garage from the shop. I'd like to add a third bay to the garage, but the well is just in front of it and the electric and phone run just behind it (side entry attached garage.) More realistic would be to build a second garage for the camper, tractor, toys, and Mule, but that won't happen any time soon.

For about a year we had three vehicles--her car, my older truck and the newest was a minivan. The van didn't get driven much and sat outside because scraping the windows in the morning stinks.

I'm the "we have no garage" vote. When we bought this house, there was a detached 3-car garage back of the house that was being used as an auto repair and sales garage. The day we looked at it, LOML took a brief glance at the house and took off up the drive at a lope to look at the garage. I turned to our realtor and told him "This is the house we are going to buy." Said 3-car garage has morphed into a 24x36' workshop, with an addition for a finishing room (and another addition going on this fall for a turning/storage room). Overhead garage doors have been replaced and it doesn't look like it was ever a garage. Fortunately, there's a concrete apron in front of the gar.. er..workshop where we park our cars. The garage that was part of the house is now a pantry and office. Poor cars.

Nancy (133 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

In my time of woodworking, my agreement with the LOML is that if you want furniture and the benefits of my woodworking hobby? Then all vehicles stay outside.

Glad that we now have a full dedicated shop!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I get the garage/shop as long as it isn't hailing, then she puts her car in.
    My truck sits outside.
    Pretty much the same as Joe's I think.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

No garage.

But sometimes I can make room in the shop for three vehicles if theres a danger of a hail storm.

I do have a place [16x32] in my shop addition set up for mechanical work, but never seem to be able to keep the car in there.

I heard on the radio today that only 40% of Americans actually park their cars in the garage. Most use the garage for junk storage. At least those of us who have our shops in the garage are putting it to better use than just storing junk.

Keith

My wife has an attached garage. I have a detatched 1000sf garage, shop, and shed combo.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Mine won't fit in the garage...too tall by about 2". Jim.
    your WHAT?

Wait......don't answer that......

The question is actually confusing the way the answers are worded. Both "The Husband" and "garage used for shop" are true for me as I suspect they are for most others.

2 car attached garage. Her vehicle parks inside unless I want to catch all heck. If there is stuff to be stored,my car parks outside (and has now for 2 years). The truck is outside because it's too long to fit in the garage (Dodge Quad Cab w/ 8' bed).

Summer time all the cars are outside.

Most of the winter, her car in the gar . . . shop, mine outside.

When it gets wicked cold or we're expecting snow, both cars inside.

The 18 year old has her car outside year round.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate