Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Cabinet Hinges

Kitchen Cabinet Hinges

My wife wants me to paint the cabinet doors and drawers, and install new hinges. She prefers European hinges. I looked at one yesterday and apparently the hole for the "cup" has to be drilled 1/8" from the edge of the door. Since our doors have a 1/2" overhang on the edge, they won't work.
    This one at least, is made for flat doors. Are there european hinges made for inset doors, or do we have to stick to the regular exposed hinges?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Rockler makes hinges for overlay doors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Joe,
    you can get eropean hinges for overlay doors, can get them from woodcraft,rockler,bear supply, custom service hardware, to name a few. I hope this isn't against the rules of the form. there are others I just can't get my brain to think of them.. some will give different degree of open space, like a door next to a corner you don't want it to open past 90 degrees where others you might want to open to 135 degrees. hope this helps tom

I think the selection of european hinges for inset overlay doors is pretty thin. The ones from Rocker shown above are ridiculously expensive $20/pr.

Greg

I'll add Woodworkers Hardware to Tom's list. I think you will find CSH and Woodworker's Hardware are considerably less expensive than Rockler or Woodcraft. They also carry a bigger selection--a blessing and a curse both because of figuring out what to buy.

All of the Euro hinge manufacturers offer overlay versions of their hinges and baseplates. (FWIW Rockler does not "make" them...they just sell some). The best (IMMHO) are Blum. But there are any number of brands that are good quality. Mepla, Grass, Salice, etc. Instead of looking to Rockler or Woodcraft, go here:

http://www.cabinetparts.com/

Where you will find a much better selection at much better prices.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    (FWIW Rockler does not "make" them...they just sell some).
    Well, excuuuuuuuse me for the errant wording mr. know-it-all. FWIW, I don't much appreciate your use of quotation marks and italics.

BTW, they are Salice hinges and are $15 per pair, not $20.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

You have to excuse him, he is from the "Left" Coast.

Gary K. PS. Only kidding David

Ooooooo.... Getting touchy now are we? Yes, I am a big "know it all". But that's not my worst personality flaw. Just ask my wife...
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    All of the Euro hinge manufacturers offer overlay versions of their hinges and baseplates. (FWIW Rockler does not "make" them...they just sell some). The best (IMMHO) are Blum.
    Everyone makes them for overlay doors but I don't think those will work if the door is also inset as shown in the original post. Blum makes hinges for inset doors and overlay doors but not inset-overly doors. At least I couldn't find any of their hinges that would work.

Greg

It looks to me like an overlay door hinge would work - you just have to back it up in to the box a little - I would buy a set and mock it up - good luck. Could be chance to make all new cabinet doors.

In taking another look - if they are paint grade - could you fill the rabbet and then drill for the cups?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    My wife wants me to paint the cabinet doors and drawers, and install new hinges. She prefers European hinges. I looked at one yesterday and apparently the hole for the "cup" has to be drilled 1/8" from the edge of the door. Since our doors have a 1/2" overhang on the edge, they won't work.
    This one at least, is made for flat doors. Are there european hinges made for inset doors, or do we have to stick to the regular exposed hinges?
    I would use the "Contact Us" question box at the bottom of the page here and ask specifically about a model number. Mepla makes an ACC series of hinges just for "American Style" face frame cabinets in quite a variety at reasonable prices.

No affiliation, quite a few outfits carry this brand.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Joe,

The problem you have is the door is an inset and an overlay door at the same time. This restricts what kind of hinges work. When the door opens the hinge has to push the door away from the frame so the overlay part won't hit.

It looks like the Blum Cliptop 170 degree will work. That might be what Cody is showing that Rockler 'makes' . Don't depend on the Rockler or Woodcraft catalogs! Take a look at the Blum specs (blum.com) for the real info. Expect to spend lots of $$ for such big hinges.

Considering the cost of the hinges, it might be cheaper to make new doors and install something like the Blum Compact 33 hinge!

Blum isn't the only manufacture, just the one I'm most familiar with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hemenway View Post
    Joe,

The problem you have is the door is an inset and an overlay door at the same time. This restricts what kind of hinges work. When the door opens the hinge has to push the door away from the frame so the overlay part won't hit.

It looks like the Blum Cliptop 170 degree will work. That might be what Cody is showing that Rockler 'makes' . Don't depend on the Rockler or Woodcraft catalogs! Take a look at the Blum specs (blum.com) for the real info. Expect to spend lots of $$ for such big hinges.

Considering the cost of the hinges, it might be cheaper to make new doors and install something like the Blum Compact 33 hinge!

Blum isn't the only manufacture, just the one I'm most familiar with.
    John has a good point. There are many projects I have modified once learning the hardware to accomplish what I want costs more than the balance of the project. We sometimes have to balance what we think we want vs. another version based on realitie$.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I guess we have a lot of things to consider. I thought that $3.99 for the european hinges wasn't bad, but $15-20 definitely makes new flat doors a feasible option. Since they will be painted I could use something like 3/4" birch ply, lumber core?

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green