Thread: First of many ClearVue questions

First of many ClearVue questions

Since I plan to put my new ClearVue in to a cabinet to reduce the noise, I don't need to do any color co-ordination. So I just need to seal the MDF. Would Zinnser's ClearCoat be right, or do you have another suggsetion?

Are you going to vent it outside?

Because most of the noise comes out the exhaust, and if that's coming back into the shop, you need to stop the noise w/o stopping the air.

I painted mine but used Zinsers SealCoat first. It worked out but the edges of the MDF really were a pain. Had to keep recoating them. Never did get as good a coat buildup as on the top/bottom and the paint buildup was about the same. But who cares? Mine's in a closet so wont be seen much by Better Homes and Gardens.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Katz View Post
    Are you going to vent it outside?

Because most of the noise comes out the exhaust, and if that's coming back into the shop, you need to stop the noise w/o stopping the air.
    No, I am going to use the Wynn filters and vent the air back into the shop.

Dick,

Like Doug I sealed mine, but used WB enamel. I vented back to the shop using a plenum box and 8" A/C ducting which works well and does an excellent job of noise suppression.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Arnold View Post
    . . . I vented back to the shop using a plenum box and 8" A/C ducting which works well and does an excellent job of noise suppression.
    Cecil, Could you give us a bit more detail on that setup? I don't know what a plenum box is and is that insulated A/C ducting with the filters at the far end?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Sylvan View Post
    Since I plan to put my new ClearVue in to a cabinet to reduce the noise, I don't need to do any color co-ordination. So I just need to seal the MDF. Would Zinnser's ClearCoat be right, or do you have another suggsetion?
    Seal Coat will work fine but MDF can be thirsty. I use Seal Coat quite a bit but generally (unless there is a lot of detail nooks and crannys) switch to poly for MDF. Just my .02
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I am very new at this but why would you need to seal the MDF in the first place? Why would a cyclone need the MDF sealed. I ask these questions because I have been thinking about getting one of these and would like to understand what might be needed to complete the assembly of it.
    Last edited by Walt Blanding; 08-12-2007 at 6:56 AM.

Walt, Ed at Clear Vue tells us it is not necessary. He has had no problems with the raw MDF he made his first ones out of that he and his son use. The rest of us are just a little anal. When MDF soaks up moisture, it swells and loses it's strength. For me, it was just an extra precaution since my shop is neither heated nor cooled and is subject to the swings in humidity that we get. I have been told that humidity really doesn't affect MDF, but like I said, at least for me, I'm just a little ....Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 08-12-2007 at 1:56 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

John,

In Houston, where the current temp is 95* (noon) and the humidity matches the temp, I have found it necessary to run the A/C in the shop if there is any hope of even being out there in the summer. Since the CV can pull all the conditioned air out in something under 2 minutes, and I needed to locate the unit remotely from the shop proper, I thought it necessary to return the air to the shop after the mass of chips and fine dust were removed at the cyclone. To get the air back to the shop I used the pictured, insulated A/C duct, along with some elbows to get the air back. Since I don't have enough floor space to stack the filters I chose to mount them side by side on the wall, using a plenum box to intake the return air on the side and hanging the filters off the bottom. I used closed end filters and mounted them with thumb screws so they can be removed to clean out. The picture attached was taken after the initial use of the CV when I was having some minor problems that were worked out with Ed. It shows the intake and one filter outlet of the plenum. Hope that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.