Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: rewire table saw

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

rewire table saw

Hi everyone, I would like to know if there is any real benifit to rewire my table saw for 220. Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Jake

I rewired my Delta 34-445 Contractors saw a few years ago to 220 after running it on 110 for about 8 years. I'd never go back to 110. I'm not going to say anymore and get into a big debate about the reasons. Try it, I bet you like it.

Yes. Try it, you like it.

How exactly does one go about rewiring the motor and what type of switch to use, etc.

Do You have the manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Bowman View Post
    How exactly does one go about rewiring the motor and what type of switch to use, etc.
    It should tell You how to do it. If You need a manual, You can download one from the B&D/Delta web site.

HTH

Curt

I think you better call a electrician, then he can also put the right plug end on the cord and install the correct dedicated circuit for you. xxxx Hire a electrician, it's code. It's what I did, and I'm glad I did too.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-11-2007 at 5:47 PM. Reason: Removed personally attacking language innappropriate for a forum response.

In general there is no real benefit from changing, but many folks feel more comfortable with tools wired for 240v. It uses the same amount of power and develops the same horsepower. That said, all the stationary tools I've owned that can be run on 240v have been setup that way. Personal preference.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    In general there is no real benefit from changing, but many folks feel more comfortable with tools wired for 240v. It uses the same amount of power and develops the same horsepower. That said, all the stationary tools I've owned that can be run on 240v have been setup that way. Personal preference.
    sure there is a benefit. You can run smaller wires. And smaller wires are cheaper

What if the wires are already there?

I think the motors run more efficiently on 220 is maybe one bennefit and most 220 circuits that I know of are on a dedicated circuit, not branched out like alot of 110's are running lights, a radio, a TV and other equipment at the same time on one breaker. Running a dedicated 110 is one way around that.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Crout View Post
    sure there is a benefit. You can run smaller wires. And smaller wires are cheaper
    When you get into larger motors, this can certainly be true, especially with the escalation in copper prices that affect home wiring products. But in this case where the motor is a horse and a half, it's likely that it will be the same wire already in place or if new, the cost difference between 14 gage and 12 gage for the length of a circuit is minimal. Most folks will opt for the heavier wire regardless for more flexibility in the future for tool circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz
    I think the motors run more efficiently on 220 is maybe one bennefit
    In general this is not so. For most 120/240 dual voltage motors, the windings are still seeing 120v. When you "rewire" them for the higher voltage, you're just changing the pathways that the current takes to portions of the windings. There have been a few tools out there that have "special" accommodations that give a little more horsepower on the higher voltage, but they are very rare.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-11-2007 at 5:52 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If your saw is currently connected to 110 and you aren't experiencing any problems then there will not be any benefit in switching to 220. You will gain a small amout of extra power (less wiring loss) and your saw will start a little quicker but it is unlikely they will be noticeable changes.

Greg

I am not an electrician but your motor has to be able to be wired 110/220. If the motor can not be wired 220 then you can't do it.

It should show on the motor the wiring for both 110 and 220, the switch will be the same and you would not have to change it.

The wiring should be on the motor plate or if not look under the wiring cover plate.

One thing that has not been mentioned (explicitily) is how well wired your shop is. Someone mentioned a dedicated 110. In my case my shop wiring is less than optimal, and wiring in a subpanel is on hold. I only have one 110 circuit so with the tablesaw it was a bit much. It only tripped once, but I switched it and it made a big difference.

If you don't have a dedicated 110 circuit or if your shop is located a considerable distance from your breakers (in an outbuilding or detached garage) you may get good increase in power.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt View Post
    One thing that has not been mentioned (explicitily) is how well wired your shop is. Someone mentioned a dedicated 110. In my case my shop wiring is less than optimal, and wiring in a subpanel is on hold. I only have one 110 circuit so with the tablesaw it was a bit much. It only tripped once, but I switched it and it made a big difference.

If you don't have a dedicated 110 circuit or if your shop is located a considerable distance from your breakers (in an outbuilding or detached garage) you may get good increase in power.

If you only have a 110 circuit how could you switch your saw to 220?